This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Sets of files - merge modules or components?

1 reply to this topic

lyub

lyub
  • Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 27 April 2005 - 20:55

Hi,

what is the best way to approach this?

I have three files A, B and C that conditionally install into locations 1 and 2.
In future I will have to write an installer that installs files A, B and D into locations 1 and/or 2. If they had run both installers, this would mean they now have A, B, C and D in locations 1 and/or 2.

Now, if necessary, people then need to be able to run an uninstall on the second installer and this will remove only the files not used by the first install, that is, file D, leaving A, B and C. This will carry on into the future, where another version of the installer might install files B, E and F.

Can this be done with components only? Do I need merge modules? How can I run a merge module into both locations? Pairs of merge modules, one for each location?

I know this is an odd thing to have to do. They are not DLLs, but data files installed into databases for use by third party software wink.gif

Fun eh?

Edited by lyub, 27 April 2005 - 20:56.

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 29 April 2005 - 13:40

Use different component GUIDs for the different locations.