This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Update MSI with script or other...

3 replies to this topic

kad

kad
  • Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 15 December 2005 - 13:23

Hello,
Having to decide if MSI is the future choice for our firm, I need to get some answers.

At the time we have released up to 20 GUI's with setup.exe installers and want to make them into *.msi. We decide to do that manually for each one at first, so that graphics, etc. can be done properly.

Whenever there is a little change in the source release, how can we automate the comparisson between the manually made project and the files on the release drive, so that a new version of the *.msi can be made.

What we absolutely don't want to, is go thru building *.msi manually, each time a change is made to files and they are dropped onto the release drive.

Remember that there are many different releases, so we need to build a script that takes the path to each release and the new version number, but the rest of the building process must be automated if possible!

Hope anyone can give me some hints, google didn't help much.

Thanks,
Kasper Andersen
Process & Platform

cooki

cooki
  • Full Members
  • 35 posts

Posted 15 December 2005 - 17:43

It's quite easy to programmatically launch the build of a msi setup. A setup builder is present in the MSI SDK. If you use a tool like InstallShield, the setup compilation is also "automatable", and i suppose it's the same with the other tools.

A MSI setup project doesn't contain any release file, only the path to these files, so you can't make comparisons.
However, i suppose that when you compile your files, they are automatically copied to the release drive. Just add the programmatic setup compiling procedure after that, and that's it !

Personnaly, i made the setup for a Visual C++ developped product. What i did was add a C++ project that programmed the setup build, and when the software was built, my project was also and was launched at the end. Everyone in the team could build the setup!

My answer is still a bit general, so if you have other questions, just ask!

VBScab

VBScab
  • Full Members
  • 436 posts

Posted 11 January 2006 - 16:40

QUOTE (cooki @ 2005-12-15 17:43)
A MSI setup project doesn't contain any release file, only the path to these files, so you can't make comparisons.

Wise for Windows Installer has a tool for comparing 2 MSIs, if that's what you're after.
- Don't know why 'x' happened? Want to know why 'y' happened? ProcMon will tell you.
- Try using http://www.google.com before posting.
- I answer questions only via forums. Please appreciate the time I give here and don't send me personal emails.

Zweitze

Zweitze
  • Full Members
  • 522 posts

Posted 12 January 2006 - 22:34

If you're still in the process of selecting an authoring environment, put the feature "command-line" building high on the list. InstallShield can do this, and I assume that Wise and WiX can do likewise.

Further I suggest looking into a better make utility, for instance Visual Build by Kinook. If you stick to make-files and/or bat-files this will grow over time into a situation that is hard to maintain.