This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Renaming of folders and files before major upgrade

2 replies to this topic

hrms

hrms
  • Full Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 07:37

I wrote an installscript function which should rename a subfolder in a previously installed version. When my new setup runs a custom action should invoke the function before the major upgrade of my new setup removes the original subfolder.

My problem is when/how can I correctly call this function? When I sequence my custom action after 'InstallValidate' then I get a transaction record script error and when I sequence it after 'StopServices' then it get's called, but my old version has then already been removed.

I'd would be very thankful for a hint!!!
Any conditions to consider?

VBScab

VBScab
  • Full Members
  • 436 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 08:18

It sounds like your CA is sequenced to run before the RemoveFolders standard action. Move it to a position just before that.

Edited by VBScab, 02 August 2010 - 08:19.

- Don't know why 'x' happened? Want to know why 'y' happened? ProcMon will tell you.
- Try using http://www.google.com before posting.
- I answer questions only via forums. Please appreciate the time I give here and don't send me personal emails.

hrms

hrms
  • Full Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 08:46

Just before RemoveFolders is too late, because the files and folders I need to preserve are deleted in the RemoveExistingProducts action. It's a major upgrade that performs a full uninstallation before the installation.