This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Minor upgrade installs in C: instead of INSTALLDIR

5 replies to this topic

MNJon

MNJon
  • Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 10 May 2004 - 21:30

Hello,

In my install, if installed clean (new install, no previous version installed), files are installed into the correct locations. (INSTALLDIR is set to Program Files\Our Product Name).

If a previous version is installed, however, a minor upgrade takes place, and while all the files are installed, files that should be installed into INSTALLDIR (aka Program Files\Our Product Name) are installed into the root of the C drive.

The Windows Installer log file indicates that INSTALLDIR is set to C:\, but I cannot see what is setting INSTALL dir to C:\.

I tried adding a custom action to set INSTALLDIR, but the files are still installed into C:\ in an upgrade situation.

What am I missing here?

Thanks in advance,
John Frid

luke_s

luke_s
  • Full Members
  • 532 posts

Posted 11 May 2004 - 03:00

In your old install, INSTALLDIR must have been set to c:\.

What does your install log say? It should say what the previous folder settings were.

MNJon

MNJon
  • Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 11 May 2004 - 15:07

The log file shows INSTALLDIR as C:\. If I run the old install, it's logfile shows INSTALLDIR as C:\Program Files\My Product Name, and that's where the files are installed to. If I do a clean (non-upgrade) install using the new install, the files are installed correctly into C:\Program Files\My Product Name, which makes no sense to me.

luke_s

luke_s
  • Full Members
  • 532 posts

Posted 11 May 2004 - 23:35

Its hard to tell without looking at both of your projects and the logs files.

Have you changed your component guids between installs?

Could you post the second install log??

Glytzhkof

Glytzhkof
  • Moderators
  • 1,447 posts

Posted 13 May 2004 - 15:11

Weird stuff. Do you have anything defined in AppSearch?

You may be able to query the location where the application was installed previously by reading a property called ARPINSTALLLOCATION http://msdn.microsof...on_property.asp it is written to the registry in the same location as the other Add/Remove program info is written. I think Installshield 8 and upwards writes this key for you automatically.
Regards
-Stein Åsmul

Zweitze

Zweitze
  • Full Members
  • 522 posts

Posted 14 May 2004 - 10:44

I had this kind of behavior once: I tried to set a path using a CA type 35. The directory variable was OK, but the expression was not, I made an error with upper/lowercase of the intended property.

As a result, the directory became the system drive in normal installs, and the first network drive in admin installs.

Hope this helps