This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

bug workaround: minor upgrade of standard project

2 replies to this topic

luked

luked
  • Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 14 March 2002 - 03:59

In an archived forum from December, Stefan says:

It appears that InstallShield has accepted this as a bug: "Currently if you change the package code in a standard project and attempt a minor upgrade, it will not work.  The only work around currently is to leave the package code unchanged"

http://www.installsi...rum1....pic=112

luked

luked
  • Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 14 March 2002 - 04:08

Oops I accidentally posted that before I was finished..

This workaround seems quite evil! - using the same package code for two different versions of a product.

When I try to use this workaround and build a patch, I get an error while building the patch complaining that the package codes are not unique.

So is it correct to say that ISD7.02 **does not support patching for standard projects at all**?  (Can this be added to the bugs bulletin?)

Do you have any advice on how to rescue my situation, maybe by converting a standard project to a basic MSI project somehow?

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 14 March 2002 - 12:56

The following article has been published in the Bugs Bulletin in the meantime:

Minor Update Fails for Standard Projects as Full Install
Description:
If you try to create a minor update for a Standard project by changing the package code (which is a Windows Installer requirement), you'll receive the error message "A previous version of this product is already installed..." when you try to install the update. You get this error regardless of the REINSTALLMODE, REINSTALL and ADDLOCAL property settings. This only happens if you deliver the minor update as full install package, not as patch. Basic MSI projects are not affected by this problem.
Workarounds:
Create the minor update as a patch, or use a Basic MSI project.
InstallShield has confirmed that this is a problem in ISD 7.02.
Created: 2002-01-04    InstallShield tracking number: 1-6UBGA