This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Associate new File Type

1 reply to this topic

Mr.B

Mr.B
  • Full Members
  • 30 posts

Posted 04 September 2006 - 15:48

Hi All,

I encountered a problem when creating an MSI.
I added new fileType (.xxx)

when installing with Admin premissions everything works good and double clicking on the file with the new type will open the desired application.

The problem is when I login with User which do not have Admin Premissions. double clicking on the file automatically activate the MSI auto-repair mechanism.
After checking the events viewer I saw that registry key was missing under the following path:

HKCU\Software\Microfost\Windows\ShellNoRoam\MUICache

Does someone encountered this problem ???? unsure.gif unsure.gif unsure.gif

Gareth at Serif

Gareth at Serif
  • Full Members
  • 85 posts

Posted 02 October 2006 - 15:48

I don't think there's anything wrong with what you've done... unless it's a com registration you were trying to acheive. For example, if you want your app to open TIF files, you'd want to add a component with the following keypath:
Root="HKCU" Key="Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.tif" Name="APPLICATION" Value="app.exe" Type="string"
And further reg entry of:
Root="HKCR" Key=".tif" Value="app1.app2" Type="string"

The 'Value' entries should match the com registration for your app. Then, for any new user, the installation will notice these keypaths missing and add them to the registry for them - otherwise new users may not have the file association at all.