This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Demoshield setup.exe and Windows 7

6 replies to this topic

RothmansUA

RothmansUA
  • Full Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 08 September 2010 - 13:38

Hi all,

I know we should get rid of Demoshield since long time already but it is still used in our installation.

The problem I have is a Demoshiled setup.exe not starting silently on a Windows 7 machine after it is successfully unpacked (from a WinZip self-extracting executable archive) to a local folder.

If to copy the folder to a CD/DVD, then it starts like a charm on the same machine from there.

This issue occurs by my customer, I cannot reproduce this issue on any of my test machines including Windows 7 one.

I suspect the reason can be in some security policies restricting startup of the files coming from unkown location.

Does anybody have an idea of what the reason could be and how can I improve the installation procedure?

Thank you.

Taco Bell

Taco Bell

IS6 Expert

• Moderators
  • 1,281 posts

Posted 08 September 2010 - 14:04

I agree with your suspicion of the reason being Windows 7's security policies and would try extracting to a different local directory (e.g. User's Temp Folder).

Also, to help reproduce the problem, I would compare UAC settings, possibly try a fresh W7 installation, and presumably download the files like the customer did.
user posted image

RothmansUA

RothmansUA
  • Full Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 08 September 2010 - 14:41

QUOTE (Taco Bell @ 2010-09-08 14:04)
I agree with your suspicion of the reason being Windows 7's security policies and would try extracting to a different local directory (e.g. User's Temp Folder).

Also, to help reproduce the problem, I would compare UAC settings, possibly try a fresh W7 installation, and presumably download the files like the customer did.

All right, thank you very much for the asnswer!

Actually, by default the user temporary folder is selected (the WinZip exrtactor which extracts the setup.exe does that for me). It cannot be start allegedly from there too.

RothmansUA

RothmansUA
  • Full Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 08 September 2010 - 15:11

Well, I've seen it now by myself.

This is a Windoes 7 Professional.
I have switched off the Symantec anti-virus (didn't help eventually).
The UAC was set to not notify on any occasions at all.
After I increased that setting the warning saying "Are you sure to start the setup.exe obtained from unknown location?" gets shown up when I start the setup.exe. But it silently exists after I click Yes in the dialog.

The most interesting is that the whole thing happens if the folder with the setup.exe is located ONLY under the User profile directory, i.e. in the Temp folder or on the desktop.

If I copy the same folder to the C:\ root (nothing else) the setup.exe starts like a charm.

The user profile folder C:\Users\MyUser is shown with a lock icon in the Windows Explorer. What can that mean?

It looks like the issue has something to do with the AppLocker (no settings in the policies) which is obviously available only in Windows 7 Professional (I don't have that full version at hand).

Any further hints?
The issue starts scaring me smile.gif

Taco Bell

Taco Bell

IS6 Expert

• Moderators
  • 1,281 posts

Posted 09 September 2010 - 15:32

Well, in order to match the W7 edition and the level of functionality, you could try running a trial copy if you can get your hands on the media. Maybe Microsoft still has a download along those lines.
user posted image

RothmansUA

RothmansUA
  • Full Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 10 September 2010 - 11:42

QUOTE (Taco Bell @ 2010-09-09 15:32)
Well, in order to match the W7 edition and the level of functionality, you could try running a trial copy if you can get your hands on the media. Maybe Microsoft still has a download along those lines.

It looks like this is a Demoshield issue.
There are some reports in the internet that the Demoshield executables crash on startup when the Apple Quicktime is installed.
Another setup.exe built with Visual Studion works just fine in the same folder where Demoshield setup.exe fails to launch.

AppLocker does not seem to be an issue (it has no active rules).
May be the DEP has influence? (will check during my next seesion at customer)
The Trusted Locations are only applicable to .NET managed libraries and settable for MS Office applications so I guess that's not a reason for a Demoshield setup.exe.
All effective access rights are same on the setup.exe on all machines being tested, so I exclude this item too.
The issue remains after switching the anti-virus software off too.

I'm pretty upset, don't know what to recommend to our customers.

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 16 September 2010 - 10:12

It might simply be a problem with the length of the path to the directory. I know that some old InstallShield versions had problems when the temp path which used to be something like c:\temp on older versions of Windows became something like c:\Documenbts and Settings\etc...
Maybe you can get WinZip to extract toi a location with a shorter path.

For additional diagnostic I'd recommend Process Monitor from SysInternals. It should show you file access failures and the reason, like missing permissions, file not found (which could indicate path too long).

And yes, you should get rid of DemoShield, since it's development stopped around 5 years ago.