This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Major upgrade not fast enough

1 reply to this topic

joze

joze
  • Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 16 April 2002 - 14:03

My today's task is to make upgrade installation faster. Package contains a typical major upgrade. Action RemoveExistingProducts is placed after InstallExecute to enable full rollback if necessary.
Most of the time is spent copying data files (full installation has about 500MB) in action InstallFiles. These data files are in propriatery format that can't hold the version info. Data files are not changed or written by the application. For most of the builds, these files aren't changed. I tried to skip copying of these files - without success thus far.
I use ISP WIE 2.03.
1) I added version to files in the component list: no change.
2) I created a test installation that has an .exe file as a key file. During installation, this .exe file is not copied, but other files from the same component are copied. It seems that in my case, the following statement from MSI help doesn't hold: Each file is installed based on the installation state of the file's associated component in the Component table

Any ideas what to change?
Can somebody explain, what comparisons are made in the action InstallFiles? Are versions entered for the files (for every component) stored in an accessible place?
Regards, Joze

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 24 April 2002 - 19:52

Some ideas:
You could put these files in a component with Never Overwrite set to yes.
Using MSI 2.0 you could populate the MsiFileHash table for these files.