This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

MSI (2.0.260022) on ME

4 replies to this topic

chris tyghe

chris tyghe
  • Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 07 May 2003 - 19:24

Hello,

I have a 3rd party child install (which I have no control over). It installs instmsi.exe (2.0.260022). This causes an initial reboot to update the msi.dll on all OSs.

I want to supress this reboot. So I install these updates in my parent (quiet & no reboot):

LaunchAppAndWait ( SRCDIR ^ "Msi\instmsia.exe", "/Q:A /R:N" , WAIT );

This works fine for every OS but ME!
On every other OS (98/98SE, 2K SP1,SP2,SP3, XP). The child install will recognize the update has been run/suppressed and will therefore skip its own attempt at the MSI update - which is exactly what I want smile.gif

But on ME the child still runs its MSI update and therefore its reboot request sad.gif

Any ideas? This is holding up a release sad.gif

Thank-you in advance

Taco Bell

Taco Bell

IS6 Expert

• Moderators
  • 1,281 posts

Posted 07 May 2003 - 20:40

This may be better suited to an MSI forum as they would probably have more experience with such things.

So you're trying to silently apply Microsoft's Windows Installer 2.0 right?

I also assume you've looked at this list of command line options.

Sorry I couldn't be more helpful, but the installs I normally deal with don't support Me. Only NT-based OSes.

Edited by TacoBell00, 08 May 2003 - 00:02.

user posted image

Taco Bell

Taco Bell

IS6 Expert

• Moderators
  • 1,281 posts

Posted 08 May 2003 - 00:06

What package was used to develop the 3rd party child install? 'cause if it was InstallShield Developer, then I can give the switches I use to have the same net affect.

I see you crossposted this to Developer. That's good. Can't hurt to get more eyes on it. wink.gif
user posted image

chris tyghe

chris tyghe
  • Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 08 May 2003 - 01:20

QUOTE (TacoBell00 @ 2003-05-07 23:06)
What package was used to develop the 3rd party child install?  'cause if it was InstallShield Developer, then I can give the switches I use to have the same net affect.

I see you crossposted this to Developer.  That's good.  Can't hurt to get more eyes on it. wink.gif

It appears to be created with Developer 7 or 8

Therefore I :
LaunchAppAndWait( SRCDIR ^ "3rdParty_Install\Setup.exe", "", WAIT);

Taco Bell

Taco Bell

IS6 Expert

• Moderators
  • 1,281 posts

Posted 08 May 2003 - 15:10

Okay, I use the following arguments for my 3rd-party IS Developer setup:

" /s /v\"/qn REBOOT=ReallySuppress\""

Hope it helps.

Edited by TacoBell00, 08 May 2003 - 15:10.

user posted image