This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Registry info

2 replies to this topic

Xitch13

Xitch13
  • Members
  • 134 posts

Posted 15 November 2002 - 19:56

Does anyone know where in the registry user information is stored? Specifically, I'm looking for for the 'Password never expires' and the 'User cannot change password' properties.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
There is great chaos under heaven, and the situation is excellent. (Mao Tse Tung)

Xitch13

Xitch13
  • Members
  • 134 posts

Posted 15 November 2002 - 20:43

Why is it I always find what I'm looking for after I just posted a question?

Anyway, I found where the user information is stored.  It doesn't seem to be that helpful though.  
(HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE) SAM/SAM/Domains/Account/Users.

Unfortunately that gives a list of the users in a hex format.  Any new users will just be given the next available number (as long as that number was not used before) (ie. The list ended in 3F0, 3F1, and 3F2.  The next user I added was 3F3.  I deleted that user, then readded basicallye the same user.  That one became 3F4).  If you want to get the names of the users you can drop down another level (SAM/SAM/Domains/Account/Users/Names).  There all the users are listed, but without much information.  The only real info contained in those keys are a reference to the user number.  This is listed under the key 'Default'.  Unfortunately, the refence is not under the 'value' but under the type in the form 0xtheNumber (ie the last user I added was 0x3F4).  No, even if you can find a user and parse out his 'user number', you real troubles are only beginning.  Once you go back up and open up the correct user there are two keys that could possibly have property info in them: F and V.  each are a string of Hex numbers at least 72 'dual-digits' long (ie 00 0a 00 00 20 00 00 00 00 00 03 00 6f a2 00 00 ...) (my 21" screen could display 72 of those and the string still ended in an ellipse!;)

I tried to set up five accounts to figure out where in the line the flag for the properties I'm interested in were located.  But small changes from account to account made BIG changes in those strings.  

So, that's the sob story.  Here's the crossing-my-fingers question.  Is there anyway to set the 'Password to Never Expire' and 'User cannot change Password' properties to TRUE on a new user I just created during an install?
There is great chaos under heaven, and the situation is excellent. (Mao Tse Tung)

Taco Bell

Taco Bell

IS6 Expert

• Moderators
  • 1,281 posts

Posted 19 November 2002 - 19:02

Sorry Xitch13, but sounds like those hex. values are wildly changing for security reasons.

Therefore I think you're only alternative is to use like a Visual Test script to create that new account with the appropriate settings through the standard user dialogs.

This script will momentarily tie up the computer though while it does this work and cannot be interrupted by the user.
user posted image