This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

WI "Key Files" bug?

1 reply to this topic

Rayhawk

Rayhawk
  • Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 10 October 2001 - 02:28

We have encountered a potential problem w/the use of 'key files'.
It seems that the more 'keyed' files in the install, the slower our app runs.  
This may not be an issue for a more 'normal' app, ours is a server & client interface with our existing product--doing distributed database/workload/computing over an int[er/ra]net [think .NET, but before .NET existed].
If we used WI to install the product, in lab, we found it began to run slowly and pause:  after many unsuccessful tweaks I cleared all [except for the 6 shortcut] 'keys' from the install and the slowness/pausing ceased immediately.

My guess is that WI is perusing the 'key file list' whenever a packet is submitted over IIS by IUSER_whatever.  It doesn't seem to have issues except via remote HTTP runs.

Has anyone else had/heard of this issue?

Ian Blake

Ian Blake
  • Members
  • 483 posts

Posted 10 October 2001 - 09:38

I do not know but I think you are right about the key file being perused.

When a DCOM interface is connected to for the first time msi is called to verify that the component is properly installed. (If it is not properly installed it will try to autorepair it).   I assume you are releasing and re QueryInterfacing quite a lot.  Clearly this increases the DCOM overhead.