This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

is possible launch another Installshield setups??

2 replies to this topic

roberto

roberto
  • Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 27 January 2004 - 18:37

Hi,

I'm a beginner with InstallShield and I'm working with InstallShield developer 8.0

Now I'm trying to do a installation setup, but before I need to install other programs like J2SDK1.4.2, acrobat reader and Tomcat. These programs have theirs Installshield setups. My question: Is possible do a installation that include all of this task in a unique own setup? because when I launch an executable (for example: j2sdk-1_4_2-windows-i586.exe) I can't do well. Perhaps it's not possible to do this with InstallShield, but I think that there is a possibility to do this.
Any suggestions?

My target is that a user without experience can install the application only with one installation (no first install java, then launch installshield acrobat, then launch install tomcat and at the last launch my own installation)

Is possible?

Please, I need your help. I saw a lot of post, but I don't get any answer about if it's is possible.

Thanks in advance.

Roberto

Glytzhkof

Glytzhkof
  • Moderators
  • 1,447 posts

Posted 27 January 2004 - 21:54

Many people do this with Installshield. In some cases you can use merge modules to install the necessary components, but in other cases you need to run legacy setups silently. If you do a search on this bulletin board I am sure you will find more info.
Regards
-Stein Åsmul

roberto

roberto
  • Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 28 January 2004 - 11:19

Thanks Glytzhkof,

but I think that You don't understand my question. You suggest me two possible options:

1. Works in silent mode, but in silent mode the setups works without UI, and this option isn't good to install applications like J2SDK, acrobat reader and Tomcat where user need to write the path, or select some options. The user need to interact with the Install setup.
2. Works with Merge modules, but I only have the setup.exe file (j2sdk1.4.2,acrobat reader and Tomcat). Can I make merge modules since setup.exe? How can I obtain or create merge modules when I only have de setup.exe file?.

With this situation, my question is clear: exist a possibility to do an easy installation that include several InstallShield setups.exe (with UI) and my own installation in a unique Installshield installation?

If I were you I won't sure about the possibility that exist more info about this specific subject in this bulletin board.

I'm very grateful to you if you answer to me quite clear.

Thanks in advance.

Roberto