This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Recompressing an MSI package after uncompressing?

1 reply to this topic

darenko

darenko
  • Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 14 May 2002 - 17:44

Okay, I need some help.  Currently our company is shipping a compressed and uncompressed image of our product.  The problem i am having is with the compressed image.  One of the problems with having a compressed image is that you cannot directly edit the compressed MSI.  If you do, then the size of the MSI drastically changes.  So, I assume that the only way to modify a compressed MSI is the uncompress it ( do an admin install ), make your changes ( add files, edit tables, whatever ), then recompress it.  So does anyone know how I can recompress the MSI with my changes?

We need to have this ability for our customers if they decide they want to add or make changes.  I see that there is a utility called makecab.exe and msidb.exe which will create the cab file and insert the cab file into the MSI ( i know Installshield uses makecab.exe, but they don't document on how they use it), but I am having problems just generating the cab file itself.  Does anyone have any ideas on how to do this?  I can't figure it out.  I will be recompressing hundreds of files and mulitiple directories.  

Any help would be greatly appreciated.  I am using ISWI 2.01, but I don't think that matters.

thanks in advance,

-daren kobata
[b]darenko[b][br][i]darenko[i][br][b]installer[b][br]

gunavelu

gunavelu
  • Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 14 June 2002 - 11:33

1. Create a text file test.ddf and enter all file name to be included in the cab in the correct sequence order. Each filename should be on a seperate line
Ex:
SALPLAN.HLP
Readme.txt
Olemsg32.dll

2. Copy the “test.ddf” file to the folder contaning the files to be include in the cab
3. Run the command makecab /V /F test.ddf. This will create “1.cab” file in “.\disk1\” folder
4. Rename the 1.cab file to the cab filename you require.
Gunavelu