This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Admin installation without local admin rights

2 replies to this topic

MartinH

MartinH
  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 05 August 2005 - 17:21

When trying to do an administrative installation (via msiexec /a) the installation fails with error 1404 (Could not create key: Software\Classes) when I have no administrative rights on the local machine.

In my understanding an administrative installation is just copying and unpacking to a network location without modifying the machine. This should be possible without admin rights.

Any ideas?

Zweitze

Zweitze
  • Full Members
  • 522 posts

Posted 05 August 2005 - 21:44

I guess the admin sequence tables are not what you think. It should be something like this:
http://msdn.microsof...uence_table.asp
(follow both "suggested admin sequence" links).

Use Orca to check it. Although you probably did nothing with these tables, Merge Modules could have done so.

Be careful - error 1404 means:
Could not delete key [2]. System error [3].

MartinH

MartinH
  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 06 August 2005 - 08:18

AdminUISequence and AdminExecuteSequence are exactly as suggested in the documentation. And error code was 1401 not 1404. Sorry, my mistake.

Error 1401. Could not create key: Software\Classes. System error 5. Verify that you have sufficient access to that key, or contact your support personnel.
MSI (s) (2C:EC) [18:44:20:219]: Product: testSetup1 -- Error 1401. Could not create key: Software\Classes. System error 5. Verify that you have sufficient access to that key, or contact your support personnel.