This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Major upgrade failed.

1 reply to this topic

agustina_s

agustina_s
  • Members
  • 31 posts

Posted 06 December 2004 - 09:50

Hi..

I have a very strange experience with InstallShield X.
Really don't know how to solve this.

I have a product with range of version.
For all the version the installer is built with InstallShield X.

I want do do major upgrade for my product from version 1.0.3.0001 to 1.0.3.0002 due to changes in productname.
But it seems Installshield only recognize and do comparison of the first 3 number the version code instead of comparing the product code.

This caused the major upgrade to behave very strange. All the dialog sequence is shown as if it was a major upgrade. However, it doesn't do removal of the previous installation. It straight away do a new installation as if the 2 products are totally different.

Because of this major upgrade problem, I have 2 desktop & quick launch shortcut with different name. I also have 2 products in Add/Remove program.

The strange thing is if I do a major upgrade from version 1.0.2.000X to this version 1.0.3.0002. Everything works perfectly.
It will removed the old installation file and then install the new version.

Is there any way to solve this kind of version problem.
I feel very desperate now.
Thank you in advanced.

Regards

Agustina

RobertDickau

RobertDickau
  • Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 06 December 2004 - 15:23

As described in the MSI Help Library page "Preparing an Application for Future Major Upgrades" (and detected by InstallShield X update validation rule Val003), MSI uses only the first three fields of the version number when identifying candidate products for a major upgrade.

[Similar follow-up here.]
Robert Dickau
InstallShield, a Macrovision company
InstallShield training, books, seminars, newsletters, ...