This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Creating a shortcut

1 reply to this topic

smileworld

smileworld
  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 03 July 2002 - 13:50

Hi Folks,

I am a newbie in MSI I am using Installshield developer and trying to create a shortcut in the Start-> Program Folder- > XXFolder-> Shortcut..

Now this shortcut is supposed to open a browser and access an URL.
Can anyone tell me how to do it. Till now I was unsuccessfull

thanks and regards,
Mahesh :)

luke_s

luke_s
  • Full Members
  • 532 posts

Posted 08 July 2002 - 01:48

I had to do this in my install as well. I had a lot of trouble getting the the correct URL in the shortcut, and the best way to do this (I found anyway) was to actually create a shortcut file (shortcut.URL) and then move this into the correct shortcut folder on the machine.

Firstly, copy the URL that you want to appear in the shortcut.
Then create a new shortcut (right click and choose new->shortcut). Then paste in the URL that you need.

You will then have an internet shortcut.

I then created a seperate component, and included this shortcut (shortcut.url) into the component files. Note, use a dynamic link because the program i use the create my setups with (Install Shield developer 7) does not like to link in a shortcut, but in a dynamic link it works fine.

Then set the destination directory for that component to the [programmenofolder] YOUR test Project ... etc.