This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Files not overwritten during upgrade

3 replies to this topic

Joseph

Joseph
  • Full Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 28 March 2009 - 09:47

Hi,

I am using InstallShield 12 premier edition. I removed two components contains some files and folders from the ism file which are not at all useful. Thereafter whenever the upgrade of my product is happening, the files in the installation folder was not overwritten. But fresh install goes fine. I don't know where the problem occurs.

Can anybody meets the same problem anywhere?
Is there any solution for this problem?

Thanks in advance.
Saravanan R

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 28 March 2009 - 11:49

If this is a Small or Minor Update (i.e. you didn't change the Productode) then you have to follow several restrictions. One of them is that you cannot remove a component. There should be SELMGR errors in the install log in this case, too.

You have two options:
- Create a Major Upgrade instead, i.e. change the ProductCode and add a Major Upgrade entry under Media > Updates.
- Use Minor Update but don't remove the component. Instead give the component of 0 and set "re-evaluate condition" to yes.
In both cases the files from the now obsolete component will be removed while you install the update.

Joseph

Joseph
  • Full Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 28 March 2009 - 12:49

Thank you for your kind reply.

Yes, it is an minor upgrade only. So I had no need to change the product code. But as per your second point mentioned below,

- Use Minor Update but don't remove the component. Instead give the component of 0 and set "re-evaluate condition" to yes.

I don't understand the "Component of 0 and set re-evaluate condition to yes". I found there is an option re-evaluate condition. I made it to Yes, and what is Component of 0.
Do I need to change any option of the component to 0?

Thanks in advance.
Saravanan R.

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 03 April 2009 - 12:45

I'm sorry, there was a word missing: set the Condition of the component to 0 (zero, which means FALSE), thus the component will not be installed.