This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

custom action in merge module (msm)

3 replies to this topic

yh2

yh2
  • Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 01 November 2005 - 10:27

hi,

i'm trying to activate custom action that launch an exe file (stored in the binary table) but it fails. (installshield 10.5)
the msm is merged into installScript project.
other files that the msm suppose to install are installed. the problem is only with the custom action.
is somebody know this problem? what should i do to fix this?

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 02 November 2005 - 11:33

You may need to append the merge module guid to the exe file name.
Also make sure your custom action is called after the file has been installed (i.e. deferred afetr InstallFiles, or immediate after InstalLFinalize)

yh2

yh2
  • Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 02 November 2005 - 15:26

hi,
thanks for your reply.
my main project is not msi, it's an installscript project (i tried merging with msi and it succeeded), and the custom action (from the merge module) is not executed when running the main project (installscript).
i chose in the 'location' tab 'stored in the binary table' so i guess there is no need to install first (or am i wrong? it works this way in the msi as main project).
about appending the merge module guid to the exe file name - what do you mean? the exe file name in the custom action wizard?

thanks,
yh2

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 10 November 2005 - 08:17

Sorry, looks like I didn't read your original post carefully.
If it works in a Basic MSI project but not using the Merge Module holder object in InstallScript, I don't know what the exact problem is. Maybe the merge module relies on some other action that is missing from the holder object.
However, the holder object basically creates a msi setup that consumes your merge module and then calls that msi setup from your InstallScript setup. You can do the same yourself, without using the holder object, by calling your Basic MSI project. Just make sure that you install the MSI runtime first.