This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Custom Actions with System Search Results

3 replies to this topic

RodneyB

RodneyB
  • Full Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 01:33

I've set up two System Searches, one to find a folder from a registry key and a second using the result of that to find a file in that folder. I assign the result of the second search to a property INSTALLEDSERVER, which I have defined in my properties table with no default value.

Then I've defined a Custom Action to execute a VBS with a condition INSTALLEDSERVER <> "". My thought was that if the System Search found the file the INSTALLEDSERVER property would have some value, I don't really care what, and my Custom Action would execute. The problem is the custom action never gets executed.

I also tried setting my property to a default value of 0 and testing INSTALEDSERVER <> 0, but that didn't make any difference.

I've never used the System Searches before so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Rodney

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 17:49

I'd recommend generating a log. This will show you changes in the proeprty values, so you can see if the search is successful etc. Did you double check the spelling of the property name?

RodneyB

RodneyB
  • Full Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 20:59

Well, yes I double checked the spellings. I will pursue the log and see what that tells me.

It is very frustrating.

Do I need to define the properties I'm using in the System Search first in the Properties Definition? Or by virtue of my defining them in the System Search are they defined as properties?

Rodney

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 17:46

In general you don't need to defne them, they get created on the fly if the search is successful. However I think that InstallSHield only lists them in the system search options if they are defined in the Property manager. But if you leave the value blank, they're not built into the Property table of your msi.