This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

nested installs

1 reply to this topic

neilg

neilg
  • Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 22 October 2004 - 18:22

Our install will run the MS Speech SDK, Tomcat and J2RE install (all serially) if the user selects those options. I have configured all three of these using InstallShield 7 Developer in my parent installation, but both the Speech SDK and the J2RE install will return an error that another install is in progress and it can't continue. The Tomcat install works just fine.

I have read up on this and found a few issues that I have tested. I have custom actions to run all of these installs. Tomcat and J2RE have a .exe I run while the Speech SDK is an embedded .msi. I configured a custom action for each one and placed the action after my InstallFinalize action in my sequence (I read that the installinprogress mutex is cleared after that action) with deferred execution. No matter where I place the actions to run these 2 installs, it always gives me that error. I haven't had any success placing it anywhere in my UI sequence as the install files need to be copied over before being run.

Is there anything that can be done? If this can't be resolved in IS, is there anything else I can use that can coordinate all these installs?

thanks,
Neil

mh8368

mh8368
  • Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 16 November 2004 - 22:38

Neil,

I have had a lot of issues using the nested msi installation CA. Another option is to create an internal scrip function that calls the LaunchAppAndWait function for installing your nested msi. Place the function call in the OnFirstUIAfter event controller. Here you can Launch your nested installs calling the msiexec.exe and passing the correct command lines including location to the .msi... If you want to do some error checking on the nested install, make the call before displaying the final dialog and you can use the 'Abort' fuction to fail the setup. This will also properly fail your parent installation.

good luck,
MjH