This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Windows Configuring Program

3 replies to this topic

pajaykumar

pajaykumar
  • Full Members
  • 33 posts

Posted 01 October 2007 - 11:46

Hello,

I am using InstallShield 12 Professional and deals with Basic MSI projects. I am facing a problem of Windows Continuously configuring program after fresh installation, with a dialog box, "Please wait while Windows configures My-Program-Name”.
Even though we wait for completion it goes into loop. And on canceling, it again comes back.
Can anyone suggest what may be going wrong? Is it a case of auto repair? How can I disable it?

Thanks a lot.

Ajay

asrinivas

asrinivas
  • Full Members
  • 36 posts

Posted 03 October 2007 - 13:30

Hi,

I think due to some common components or registry entries with another program, if anything is conflicted , it will configure the installation.we also faced the same problem. but we could solved it.

Regards,
A.Srinivas

Glytzhkof

Glytzhkof
  • Moderators
  • 1,447 posts

Posted 04 October 2007 - 02:43

Look in the system's event log to determine which component is triggering the repair.

Essentially what happens is this:
1: You trigger a windows installer key path check by invoking a self repair entry point (launch a shortcut, instantiate a COM object or similar...)
2: Windows Installer determines what is the parent product and parent feature for the self-repair entry point triggered
3: All key paths for all components located in the parent feature will be checked to ensure they are present on the target system. This process is repeated for all parent features all the way to the top of the feature tree (if there is one)
4: If any broken key paths are found in any features a self repair is triggered for the product and this is when you see the dialog in question.

In short there is a key path in your MSI that is pointing somewhere where it shouldn't. Typical causes:

1: A key path is set to a hard coded user profile: C:\Documents and Settings\user1\file.txt (this path won't exist for another user and self repair results).

2: A key path is set to a temporary file (which has subsequently been deleted)

3: A key path is set to a folder for which the current user does not have write / read permission

4: A key path is set to an empty folder and there is no CreateFolder table entry (this will cause MSI to remove the folder and then trigger self repair and install it only to be deleted on the next launch and then reinstalled, etc...)

5: See Stefan's article here: http://www.installsi...ifaq/a/1037.htm
Regards
-Stein Åsmul

pajaykumar

pajaykumar
  • Full Members
  • 33 posts

Posted 08 October 2007 - 05:17

Thanks a lot, A.Srinivas & Stein Asmul for your reply…
I am going through your suggestions and working on it, will be back with my finding over it....

Thanks...

Ajay