This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Help: Add/Remove after patching ???

9 replies to this topic

calderaraserge

calderaraserge
  • Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 04 October 2004 - 06:56

Dear all,

I have build a abasic MSI project which is patching a previous installation.
The previous installation works fine from Add/Remove control panel. I mean it removes the installation when Pressing remove.

Then After applying the patch, if I go to add remove and try to remove totally my product, it remains in the add remove list and it is ot working ??

Any idea what is happenening?

Wha t I would llike to be able to do it that after patching , I would still like to get the possibility to uninstall my whole product.

Thanks for your information
Regards

Serge

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 05 October 2004 - 07:49

Looks like something's wrong in your patch. Did you perform validations? Did you generate a log of the patch installation, and of the uninstall attempt. The latter would tell you why uninstall fails.

calderaraserge

calderaraserge
  • Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 05 October 2004 - 10:52

What do u mean by Permorm validation ?
How can i log uninstalltion fron add/remove?

regards

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 05 October 2004 - 12:11

Orca and other MSI tools have an option to validate the msi file.
For logging use the registry method described at http://www.msifaq.com/a/1022.htm

calderaraserge

calderaraserge
  • Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 12 October 2004 - 09:14

Thnaks fo your answer...

Some more information about my problem.
Initially on my target system I get my original product running under Windows 2000 Service pack 2.

Then Applying my patch is runnin perfecly. At the end of my patch installation I instruct installation to run WIndows SP4 from a CA. This works great.

At the end all my system is updated according to my desire.

Then I was tested the way it behaves, if I want to remove my product from my system. At the time I get an error saying that it request at least SP2.

ANd that error message is build inside my original package as a condition.

Now it seems that when it try to removes,it refer still to original package instead of current pacth, and now it is SP4.

So as a result I cannot remove my product, any ideas ?

thnaks

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 12 October 2004 - 18:34

Are you installing a Windows Service Pack form a custom action???

Do you have a condition in your setup that will only let it run on Win2000 SP2 but not on higher service packs?

calderaraserge

calderaraserge
  • Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 13 October 2004 - 12:59

Rights, I forgot to remove an inital condition based on service pack level that should not be inside my patch process.

Now I am in a point that problem above is solved but then step in a wired situation.
When I click the remove button from control panel, I do not have any error anymore, my product seems to be removed has it diseaperas from control panel add/remove list.

But then all files, folder, shortcut remains on disks....

What is going on here now ?

NOTE: My initial product named was PSU 5. In my Patch package I did not change that product name, only thing I change is package code and version

Any ideas?

thanks for help
serge

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 13 October 2004 - 17:25

Only a log of the uninstall will tell you what really happened

calderaraserge

calderaraserge
  • Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 18 October 2004 - 10:18

hI again,

I foolow your instruction and generate the log file of installer during unistallation of my product after patching. As mentionned ealier, the product information is removed from control panel but all files exist still on my PC.

I have attached the log file if you can point me out where and why the problem is appearing.I have try to digout this log info, but sorry to say that it sounds like chinnese to me to found out where .....

Thanks for your help

Serge

Attached Files

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 19 October 2004 - 08:52

Can you please provide the following additinal information:
- which files are being left behind (all, or only some)?
- in which components are these files (please list component names)
- a log of the patch install (please use a clean machine, install the software, then install the patch, and post a log of the patch install)