This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Can all "low rights" users install software?

2 replies to this topic

kipjohnson

kipjohnson
  • Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 09 March 2005 - 02:39

I keep reading within Microsoft documentation that "any user should at the very least be able to install an application for their own use".

Even a "low rights" user from the XP user group for instance?

How can this be?

Installing anything that requires for instance registering an ActiveX control would require the ability to write data into the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE and/or HKEY_CLASSES registry keys which would require elevated permissions.

So in this case wouldn't the user need admin rights to do this install after which they could run the application with "lower rights" when it would restrict its writing to HKEY_CURRENT_USER?

This is important because if its possible for "low rights" users to do installations then this would be desirable since it wouldn't lock out these users from being able to install my application. Ideally I don't want to force users to be logged in as an admin or power user to install my application.

Any help you could give me to better understand this would be appreciated.

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 09 March 2005 - 15:20

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes can be used for COM registration (on Windows 2000 or above)

HahtokariMika

HahtokariMika
  • Full Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 14 March 2005 - 13:56

User has ability to install software if followin is true

1. Computer and user has account in Active directory
2. AD administrator has advertised software to user account using GPO:s
3. MSI package is made in such a way that advertising works

After group policy is active on workstation user sees software under add remove programs. From there he /she can install software without special rights.

Mika