This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Modifying File Permissions

3 replies to this topic

Taco Bell

Taco Bell

IS6 Expert

• Moderators
  • 1,281 posts

Posted 20 February 2003 - 02:21

Okay, I haven't asked a question in awhile, but this is an issue with which I need some help, so here I am. ;)

I would like to know how to expand the default security settings for an existing file.  I've been doing some "Googling" on the subject, but haven't come up with much.

I know there's nothing built into this version of IS to handle this, so I figure I'll have to rely on a Windows API call or a custom executable/DLL.  I'm willing to do this, but again, haven't found anything in my searches. ???

Well that's my dilema.  I've been wanting to do this for awhile, but it wasn't the highest priority.  However, now that we're focusing again on reducing the required level of user priveleges (i.e. Power User instead of Administrator) this is coming back into play.

---

By the way, in case you're wondering what file I need to do this for, it's the LMHOSTS file that resides in <WINDIR>\system32\drivers\etc.  This file is used by the TCP/IP protocol to translate host names to IP addresses.
user posted image

Ide Nentjes

Ide Nentjes
  • Members
  • 222 posts

Posted 20 February 2003 - 10:18

Hi TacoBell (Told you I'd be back  :) ),

There's a tool on windows called CACLS.exe which you can use to display or modifies discretionary access control list (DACL) files, i.e. permissions on files and folders.
I'm not sure if it's shipped standard on all windows machines; but I seem to remember it is for NT/2000.

You can read up on cacls.exe on MSDN

HtH, Ide

Perotin

Perotin
  • Full Members
  • 407 posts

Posted 20 February 2003 - 10:26

cacls works nicely.
But be carefl if installing in more than one language or if you install on a non-english os.
Depending on the windows version the name of the user group you apply the changes may vary!
Gruß / regards
Thomas

Taco Bell

Taco Bell

IS6 Expert

• Moderators
  • 1,281 posts

Posted 21 February 2003 - 03:34

Thanks guys, I'll check that out after we release a new version of this other product.
user posted image