This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Add content in Class table during patching

3 replies to this topic

Amarjeet

Amarjeet
  • Full Members
  • 77 posts

Posted 28 September 2011 - 12:05

I have a com dll. With my major release this DLL is not registered.

WIth patch i want to register this dll. When i compile IS package for the patch information about this Dll is added in class table. Information is added when i use " Com Extract at build " OR extract registry data.

While patching Major release MSI and patch MSI are compared. Since information about COM dll was not present in Original MSI i get validation warning Val 0015. " Class table contains new information. Patch become uninstallable"

If i remove the information from Class table patch can be installed but com registration fails.

Is there any fix for this issue ?

Amarjeet

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 28 September 2011 - 14:33

Actually, Val0015 warns that the patch will not be uninstallable, i.e. users will not be able to uninstall the patch to revert the product back to the un-patched state. This shouldn't be a problem.

Amarjeet

Amarjeet
  • Full Members
  • 77 posts

Posted 29 September 2011 - 05:13

We do release patches after every 2 to 3 months. Many times its required that user needs to uninstall the patch and revert back to original product.

So i need patch to be uninstallable in any case.

Is there any way by which i can hide changes in Class table from patching mechanism.

One of the solution can be merge registry file. But this does not work for COM component.

I tried creating another component with different name but still same validation problem.

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 29 September 2011 - 17:49

Maybe you should keep your COM data stable between releases.