This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

2740 Error

4 replies to this topic

Superfreak3

Superfreak3
  • Full Members
  • 437 posts

Posted 30 April 2002 - 19:42

This may be tough to pinpoint, but I'll try to give as much info. as I can to give someone a shot at this one ....

I am receiving a 2740 -2146828218 error during CA execution. They funny thing is, this is the first time we have run into this error. Our installation has been running fine for the most part on all OSs.

I know from an InstallShield post that this appears to be a generic COM "Permission Denied" error, 0x800A0046. What type of permission problem am I running into?

Here is a snapshot of the target system:
Norton Antivirus
Windows 2K
Sysprep
Outlook
Altiris
WEB
Adobe
IP Addressing
Lexmark printers
Zip drive
Mouse Sizer &
Office XP.

I don't even know what some of these are, but I listed them in case anyone else does.

Basically, the VBScript Custom Action simply reads a .txt file, which we created earlier in our install, to find the path of certain files. These certain files are copied aside to .sav files (these files are later restored if the original files are not there following an upgrade (via a CA)). Before copying the files, the script checks for the existence of .saf files from a previous installation and deletes them.

I know this may be alittle grey, but I hope someone can lend a hand!

Leigh Ravenhall

Leigh Ravenhall
  • Members
  • 269 posts

Posted 01 May 2002 - 02:07

Can you generate a verbose msi log file for the installation.  The log details for a 2740 error are quite good, generally providing the exact line the VBScript error occurred on.  (Trust me, I've had plenty)

Leigh Ravenhall
Expert Information Services

Superfreak3

Superfreak3
  • Full Members
  • 437 posts

Posted 01 May 2002 - 14:42

The problem is we can't duplicate the problem in our test environment.  It's occurring on site.  I will instruct what to do to give this a try.  I'll let you  know.

THANKS!!!!!!!!!!

Would the /l*v "C:Problem.log" at the Command Line= in Setup.ini work?

dbareis

dbareis
  • Full Members
  • 85 posts

Posted 03 May 2002 - 03:30

You can set up the error table so a relatively decent message is displayed such as in:

<$TABLE "Error">
  <$Row Error="2740" Message=^The custom action "[2]" failed with error [3]. Failed at line [6] (column [7]). Possibly more info follows... %4="[4]", %5="[5]", %8="[8]"^>
<$/TABLE>

The MSI.CHM doco provides some possibly better error text, the above shows you which table and what fields contain what.

Bye
Dennis
---
Dennis Bareis (dbareis@No.Spam.gmail.com)
Free MSI update/creation tool (MAKEMSI):
http://users.cyberon...eis/makemsi.htm

Superfreak3

Superfreak3
  • Full Members
  • 437 posts

Posted 13 May 2002 - 15:01

I found what the problem was.  We build a text file to hold some property values for us, which are used later in the install.  For some reason, this file had bad permissions.  When an initial custom action searched for and attempted to read this file (placed during a previous installation, of course) it blew out with the permission error.