This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

CA type 50

11 replies to this topic

kris

kris
  • Members
  • 77 posts

Posted 14 September 2001 - 15:36

I have a CA type 50 in my UI sequence......thing is, the project carries on after it launches this executable......it doesn't wait for it to finish.

Are there stipulations when a CA exists in the UI sequence?

Martin Aigner

Martin Aigner
  • Full Members
  • 133 posts

Posted 14 September 2001 - 18:12

What application do you start with this CA?

Do you start a Setup.exe (to uninstall previous versions)?

If yes, you have to know that setup.exe (from InstallShield) terminates after launching the IKernel.exe. You can prevent this if you call setup.exe with parameter /sms.

kris

kris
  • Members
  • 77 posts

Posted 14 September 2001 - 18:54

I start another application's installation.....should I try running it like so:

Target:  [SOURCEDIR]setup.exe /sms

?

Also, what does /sms do?  

Martin Aigner

Martin Aigner
  • Full Members
  • 133 posts

Posted 14 September 2001 - 18:59

The parameter /sms causes, that setup.exe does not terminate after starting IKernel.exe. This is designed normaly for Microsoft SMS to get a valid return code from the setup.exe. In this case the setup.exe must wait, thill the installation terminates.

kris

kris
  • Members
  • 77 posts

Posted 14 September 2001 - 19:35

Trying to run "mysetup.exe /sms" fails for me, I on't think it understands this command.......and when I previously had a CA that launched an .exe that was "installed with the product", the CA would wait to finish before carrying on with the install....why is a Type 50 (launch an .exe stored in the Property table) different?  (I have/had "Wait until action finish executing" checked on both CA's)

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 14 September 2001 - 22:03

It depends on the tool that was used to create the sub instalaltion.
If it's created with InstallShield 5 (check the version of setup.exe) note that the parameter /SMS is case sensitive.

kris

kris
  • Members
  • 77 posts

Posted 15 September 2001 - 00:23

I can't seem to get SMS working as a parameter......

Shouldn't my CA's wait until it has "finished executing" when I have the option checked? No matter what sequence or where in the sequence it exists?

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 15 September 2001 - 17:30

Yes. But the problem is (in IS5 - we still don't know whether the sub install was created with this version), setup.exe will start, then launch the main installation engine, then terminate (while the launched setup is still running). Your CA will wait for setup.exe, but if setup.exe doesnÄt wait for the installation, that doesn't help much. /SMS (forward slash and capital letters) will cause setup.exe to stay in memory until the sub-installation is finished.

kris

kris
  • Members
  • 77 posts

Posted 18 September 2001 - 15:36

Stefan,

First, I would like to say that the new first page of the site is done very tastefully.  Simple and meaningful, and very much appreciated by all.

Okay, yes, the file version of third party setup.exe is 5.10.130.0...I tried having my CA to "set a property" set the property to the following:

Source = Run3rdpartyInstall
Target = [SOURCEDIR]setup.exe /SMS

This gave me

"Internal Error 2743. RunInstall, C:\Ngmt\setup.exe /SMS"

this occurred when it got to the point where it ran my CA type 50 "RunInstall" (Source =  Run3rdpartyInstall)

....why did it work fine when I ran this actions as type "launch an .exe installed with the
product" in the Execute Sequence?  I just ran into this issue once I changed it to a type 50 CA.....

thanks,
Kris

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 18 September 2001 - 15:52

For a type 50 CA the source must be the path to the exe, any command line parameters must be placed in the target field.

Type = 51
Target = [SOURCEDIR]setup.exe

Type = 50
Target = /SMS

Also you must have both CAs in the same sequence, because Run3rdpartyInstall is a private property (public properties must be in all upper case). Also C:\Ngmt\setup.exe must exist as uncompressed file in the specified location.

kris

kris
  • Members
  • 77 posts

Posted 20 September 2001 - 14:20

Stefan,

Thank you so much.......I was putting the /SMS parameter in the wrong place, like you said.  I appreicate your help!  It works great now!

Kris