This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Repairing the install restores the original files

3 replies to this topic

rbrinda

rbrinda
  • Full Members
  • 65 posts

Posted 20 August 2002 - 23:33

Hi All,

This is a very basic question regarding reinstalling a product after performing an upgrade using MSI.

1) i installed product A
2) then applied patch (small upgrade) to the product successfully.
3) then selected to Repair the product in Maintenance dialog from Add/Remove Programs. This causes all the original files of product A to be installed thus removing all the patched files.

Is this the desired behaviour that one should expect on choosing to reinstall the product from "Repair" option in Add/Remove Programs? If so, is there anyway i could instruct MSI to ignore all patch files (or) take the patch files from a specific location during reinstallation after performing an upgrade?

Thanks in advance.
-rb

rbrinda

rbrinda
  • Full Members
  • 65 posts

Posted 21 August 2002 - 01:17

I missed to mention in my last post that i used RTPatch for creating this small upgrade patch. I tried to install the same patch that was developed using Installshield Developer and repairing the install after applying the patch works ie., repair did add/update all the files that were added by the patch.

Thanks.
-rb

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 21 August 2002 - 20:56

Normal behaviour would be that the patch is re-applied. If this doesn't work for you, either the version relationsship you specifed is wrong, or there's something wrong with the patch you created. Did you contact PocketSoft support - this looks like a RTPatch issue.

rbrinda

rbrinda
  • Full Members
  • 65 posts

Posted 21 August 2002 - 22:59

Thanks for your reply, Stefan. I called pocketsoft for assistance and they said they will debug with my setup files and investigate whats wrong. I will update this newsgroup as soon as i hear from them. I also heard that the next version of RTPatch will provide full MSI support (current version provides only partial support ie., adding new components via RTPatch is not possible).

Thanks.
-rb