This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Extra components getting created

2 replies to this topic

beachbum

beachbum
  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 19 August 2005 - 03:02

Hi,
I'm having some trouble with a minor upgrade, so I examined the log and found:
CODE
MSI (s) (9C:10) [18:39:37:625]: SELMGR: ComponentId '{F1035C25-1EDD-4C90-B727-C5EBEC782A7F}' is registered to feature 'csimport', but is not present in the Component table.  Removal of components from a feature is not supported!
MSI (s) (9C:10) [18:39:37:625]: SELMGR: Removal of a component from a feature is not supported
MSI (s) (9C:10) [18:39:37:625]: SELMGR: ComponentId '{79180285-125E-4E8A-AE4C-BBA294FAA6E1}' is registered to feature 'qxs', but is not present in the Component table.  Removal of components from a feature is not supported!
MSI (s) (9C:10) [18:39:37:625]: SELMGR: Removal of a component from a feature is not supported

I searched all previous versions of the .ism file (reverted from CVS) and couldn't find any trace of these components.

I rebuilt the installation (without changing anything) and ran the minor update again. I received the same message, but with different component ids. Each time I build and run the minor update, these component ids change.
Any idea about what might be happening here?

Thanks in advance,
-geoff

If it matters, I'm running DevStudio 9.0

beachbum

beachbum
  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 19 August 2005 - 23:45

I found out what is happening, I'm just not sure why. These two components came from a dynamic component. I have a component which includes all the files in a particular folder. In the advanced view of this component its key says *** Generated by build***.

This is fine but here's the problem. On a clean machine I install the software. I rebuild the installer without changing anything. When I rerun the installer on the target machine I get errors in the log about removing components. (see above).

Can you use dynamic components with an MSI installation? It looks like each time I build the install it generates new component ids for each file. These component ids are sent to the MSI engine and logged in its table. When I rebuild the installer, installshield generates new ids and the upgrade fails becuase the component ids don't match.

It sounds like I'm missing something.
Thanks again,
-geoff

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 22 August 2005 - 10:26

First, you should make sure that in the release wizard you specify the prevoius msi file in the Patch Optimization field. Then you can use dynamic links in MSI projects, but not for sub-folders. That is, you can dynamically include the contents of one folder. But if you want to add contents from a subfolder thereof you should manually create a new component for that, and dynamically link the files from the subfolder to that new component.