This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

CA in nested install does not work in XP,2003

5 replies to this topic

ibina

ibina
  • Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 06 October 2004 - 10:02

Hi, I have problem with launching exe from nested MSI. I have following configuration :
Dev Studio 9.0 SP1

Both parent and child installations are simple MSI project.

The parent MSI is compressed to one setup.exe

The parent MSI launches the child MSI through a "Launch an Exe" "Stored in the directory table" type CA as follows:
- Working directory : SystemFolder,
- File name &command line : msiexec.exe /i "[SETUPEXEDIR]\subdir\child.msi"
- The CA is Asynchronous(no wait for completion), immediate execution
- The CA is called from the "SetupCompleteSuccess" dialog

The child MSI launches the myfile.exe through a "Launch an Exe" "Stored in the binary table" CA type.
- The CA is Asynchronous(no wait for completion), immediate execution

In Win 2k everything is OK.
In Win Xp ,Server 2003 the nested MSI is launched but myfile.exe fails to launch.

When I run a verbose log I receive a return code of 1631 on the ActionEnded line for the Custom Action.
There is no error with the MSI itself that appears to the screen.
The Action Ended SetupCompleteSuccess gives a return code of 2 and the ActionEnded Install has a return code of 1.

Could you please help me ?

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 07 October 2004 - 17:43

Did you make sure the extracted file stay cached on the hard disk? Otehrwise the cleanup of the parent install might be deleting your child.
Also did you test the child by itself on the failing systems? Does the custom action work then?

ibina

ibina
  • Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 08 October 2004 - 08:13

Hi Stefan,
thank You for your reply. This problem is becoming my nightmare.

When I launch the child alone everything works fine.
I am sorry for the stupid question (I have only started with InstlallShield), but how can I make the file to be cached on the hard disk ?
Anyway, the child is launched from the "SetupCompleteSuccess" dialog and the parent is closed immediately after that. The CA in the child is launched again from
"SetupCompleteSuccess" dialog.
I found out that when I launch the child through the InstallScript CA everything works fine.
Unfortunatelly I need to launch the child from "SetupCompleteSuccess" dialog what is impossible through InstallScript CA. ( I haven`t found any way how to restart installscript engine. There is not Q104449 article in Installshield KB anymore)

Anyway, I would like to make it work without using Installscript CA.

Thank You for your replay.

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 08 October 2004 - 16:33

Caching is an option in release wizard if you build a self extracting exe (network/compress all/create setup.exe)

ibina

ibina
  • Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 12 October 2004 - 06:29

I have it cached but it still does not work on XP,2003. I`ve decided to launch the child through the installscript CA . But I have the problem with restarting the script engine.
Do you know how to make an istallscript CA work in the "SetupCompleteSuccess" dialog ?

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 12 October 2004 - 07:56

There's a KB article that says you can re-start the InstallScript engine. But I have also heard from users that this doesn't work sometimes.