This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

New to MSI

1 reply to this topic

AnnDunbar

AnnDunbar
  • Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 06 August 2004 - 21:27

I have considerable experience with InstallShield/InstallScript installers. I am totally new to MSI. I am using InstallShield X. Is there a book or webinar or whatever that will help me get up to speed on MSI. I've created a transform for an existing MSI - it mostly works, but some things just don't work like Installscript.. very frustrating. The online help is not very helpful.

Glytzhkof

Glytzhkof
  • Moderators
  • 1,447 posts

Posted 07 August 2004 - 08:11

MSI is a completely different approach to installation than old, legacy Installshield setups.

There is a list of books here:
http://www.installsi...n/msi/books.htm

If you have a development background I would read Phil Wilson's book. It is a book written by a developer for developers with focus on ORCA and the Visual Studio installer.

"Practical Windows Installer Solutions for Building InstallShield Setup Applications" is a great book for solving complex installation problems and for a practical list of issues that can occur with Installshield setups.

"Getting Started with InstallShield Developer and Windows Installer Setups" is an OK introduction to Windows Installer setups if you are using Installshield Developer.

Edited by Glytzhkof, 07 August 2004 - 08:12.

Regards
-Stein Åsmul