This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Create Configurable Merge Module

4 replies to this topic

JvdP

JvdP
  • Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 11 August 2003 - 16:08

Hi All,

I have created a configurable Merge Module for installing a service. The configurable parameters are a username and password for setting the identity under which the service must run.

I added two entries to the ModuleConfiguration table:
1) Name=AccountName
Format=0
Type=Formatted
Displayname=AccountName
2) Name=AccountPassword
Format=0
Type=Formatted
Displayname=AccountPassword

I added two entries to the ModuleSubstitution table:
1) Table=Property
Row=AccountName.E59467E8_16F2_4A92_81B1_B4192804035A
Column=Value
Value=[=AccountName]

2) Table=Property
Row=AccountPassword.E59467E8_16F2_4A92_81B1_B4192804035A
Column=Value
Value=[=AccountPassword]

The properties should get filled this way, and these propertiesI use to fill customactiondata in order to be able to use them in my custom action vbscript. Other properties in my customactiondata are available but not the accountname and password, so what am I doing wrong here?

Thanks in advance,

Jan

luke_s

luke_s
  • Full Members
  • 532 posts

Posted 12 August 2003 - 12:04

Tyr using Captial letters for your properties. This will make them global so you should be able to access them inside your proeject and the installation should work.

JvdP

JvdP
  • Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 12 August 2003 - 14:06

Thanks Luke,

Making them global was not the solution, but you put me on the right track. When I was in the Property Manager doing your suggestion, I also changed the value colum, from nothing to a random value. This did the trick. Now the value got substituted.

Last issue now is to fill the configurable item with a dynamic value (another property?) that comes from a dialog. I have read that it is not possible to reference another property in a property value, so this can become complicated. Anyone a suggestion?

Best regards,

Jan

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 12 August 2003 - 19:59

You can use a custom action type 51 to set a property from formatted text (formatted text can include property references)

JvdP

JvdP
  • Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 12 August 2003 - 21:01

Hi Stefan,

Thanks for your reply. I do not understand completely where I would insert your proposed custom action type 51. In the merge module or in the overall installer (MSI)?

My current scenario is as follows:

• On a dialog I have an edit field (textbox), which has a property attribute set to, let's say "DlgAccountName"
  • I configure my merge module with parameter "CfgMMAccountName" set to value [DlgAccountName]. For this reason I have an entry in the ModuleConfiguration table.
  • In my configurable Merge Module I have an entry in the ModuleSubstitution table so that property "MMAccountName" will get the substitued value of "CfgMMAcountName"
  • The property MMAccountName will be transferred into CustomActionData with a CA type 51, just before my deferred CA.

When I use ORCA to see how the overall (compiled) installer has it's properties set after the merging has taken place, I see in the property table that MMAccountName has the following string value: "[DlgAccountName]". Unfortunatly this way of using properties is not allowed, because of circular reference problems.

Maybe you can help me by pointing at the place where I must put your suggestion.

Thanks in advance,

Jan