This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

starting README.TXT after installation

11 replies to this topic

nraina

nraina
  • Members
  • 30 posts

Posted 19 May 2001 - 03:55

I created a cutom action 'readfile' which points to a function 'readme' where                                             LaunchApp(PROGRAM,PARAM) is called to open ReadMe.txt file. This cutom action is tied to  'Finish' button on SetupCompleteOnSuccess.( DoAction readme 1 ) are param for Finish button.
But  for some reason the ReadMe.txt file does NOT open when user clicks Finish button.
I am stuck here not knowing where I am going wrong!
Please help...

nraina

nraina
  • Members
  • 30 posts

Posted 19 May 2001 - 04:09

btw, the function readme is in InstallScript. (in setup.rul )

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 20 May 2001 - 18:42

I think there's an article in the InstallShield knowledge base about calling InstallScript custom actions from the finsh dialog. I think the problem is that the InstallScript engine is already stopped at that point, so you have to start it again.

nraina

nraina
  • Members
  • 30 posts

Posted 20 May 2001 - 21:26

Thanks for the response..

I think what you said is true because i put
NewDialog FilesInUse 1 for the Finish button (in Behavior of SetupCompleteSuccess dialog box) and it did NOT open the dialog box when i pressed Finish button..

But I searched Installshield.com Knowledge base for the key words "engine"/ "start" etc but could not find the article you referred to ...

If you could guide me a bit it would be of great help!!
Thanks

nraina

nraina
  • Members
  • 30 posts

Posted 21 May 2001 - 02:53

Apart from doing other things, i brought SetupCompleteSuccess dialog box  to be after InstallWelcome,
SetupResume,MentanenceWelcome, SetupProgress,Execute Action in Sequence Explorer-->Installation-->UserInterface and it worked.

Thanks for your help, Stefan.

Now I want to launch the readme file only when TWO conditions are satisfied:
1. Installation has taken palce and not UNInstallation (ie COndition = Not Installed)
2. User has checked the check box "Show me readme file"
Now, how should i put TWO conditions in the Condition parameter for FInish button (on SetupCompleteSuccescould do this..s dialog box). Pl help...

Leigh Ravenhall

Leigh Ravenhall
  • Members
  • 269 posts

Posted 21 May 2001 - 04:34

To place a second condition on an action, just add the second condition to the end of the first, with an AND operator between them.  For example:

Prop1 = "Value1" AND NOT Installed

However, in this case, wouldn't it be better to hide the check box when you perform uninstallation?  That would mean the user wouldn't be able to select it.

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 21 May 2001 - 08:05

You should not change the sequence number of the SetupComplete dialog. Windows Installer requires certain dialogs on pre defined (negative) sequence numbers.

The article I was talking about is Q104449

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 21 May 2001 - 08:06

BTW you don't need InstallScript if all you want to do is launch notepad.exe.

nraina

nraina
  • Members
  • 30 posts

Posted 21 May 2001 - 19:57

yeah i agree that hiding "Show me readme" and its checkbox is better option but i could not figure out how to hide CONDITIONALLY ie if you set visible = false it will hide is always! and not just in uninstall..
(I am new to Installshield..)

If you can tell this, it will be of great help!
Thanks in advance..

nraina

nraina
  • Members
  • 30 posts

Posted 21 May 2001 - 21:47

i changed the custom action to open an executable and now it does not need any installscript..
But the pb of hiding/disabling after uninstallation still exists...

thanks a lot for your help

Joe Fegan

Joe Fegan
  • Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 22 May 2001 - 10:37

We seem to have ended up with two parallel topics, this one and "Opening a readme text file" started by Irina. They have both evolved into the same question "How do I hide the checkbox on uninstallation?".

Can I suggest that we finish this topic here and carry on in the other one? It'll save confusion for people searching the forum in the future.