This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

How to remove an old MSI

3 replies to this topic

akw976

akw976
  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 18 August 2004 - 12:30

blink.gif

All,

I've been working on an MSI in InstallShield DevStudio 9.01 for a couple of days solid now, trying to get one aspect to work, and I've really hit a brick wall.

GOAL : I want my new MSI (NEW.MSI) to remove an old MSI (OLD.MSI) on the target machine before the new software begins its installation.

METHOD : The way I have been doing this is by creating a custom action to install an MSI package. I have tried this with all three available options (Included within your main setup; Stored on the source media; An application that is advertised or already installed) and have the same issues. After selecting the correct location for the MSI (or entering the correct GUID) I add "REMOVE=ALL" as the property, to remove the installation.

PROBLEM : The problem I am having is that although NEW.MSI installs ok, it still leaves OLD.MSI installed...

using msiexec /i OLD.MSI REMOVE=ALL /qb removes the app quite happily...

are there any other ways of removing an old msi (not upgrading) from within a new MSI?

Any ideas/suggestions greatly appreciated!

Glytzhkof

Glytzhkof
  • Moderators
  • 1,447 posts

Posted 18 August 2004 - 12:57

What you probably need is a major upgrade. To implement one you need to author the upgrade table of your setup. The help documentation should contain a sample of a major upgrade.
Regards
-Stein Åsmul

akw976

akw976
  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 18 August 2004 - 16:02

huh.gif

thanks.

i've had a look and can't quite make 100% sense out of the help documentation (i've only just started using installshield this week...).

i've found the upgrade table, but i'm not sure what i need to add in there...

i have NEW.MSI with (for example) product code {new-msi-prodcut-code} and upgrade code {new-msi-upgrade-code}, and OLD.MSI with product code {old-msi-prodcut-code} and upgrade code {old-msi-upgrade-code}. i want NEW.MSI to fully uninstall OLD MSI, what do i put in the table in NEW.MSI to enable me to do this?

again, much apperciative of any help...

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 19 August 2004 - 10:45

Add {old-msi-upgrade-code} to the upgarde table (or eneter it in the Upgardes view)