This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Newbie: .NET Custom Actions or InstallScript

3 replies to this topic

RikRak

RikRak
  • Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 18 September 2006 - 12:55

Hi all,

I'm new to InstallShield so forgive me if this is a stupid question...

I'm using Installshield 12 to install a .NET 2.0 application. I had been using VS2005 setup project which included a number of Custom Actions, but have decided to use a more advanced installation editor.

I'm wondering whether to continue using Custom Actions with Installshield, or whether to just use InstallScript.

Is there a general consensus as to whether Custom Actions are better than using Installscript or vice-versa?

Any thoughts welcome.

Rik

For info: the Custom Actions setup the .NET CAS policy, made changes to the configuration file, and setup the registry.

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 18 September 2006 - 21:42

Using custom actions is better in a Basic MSI project is better than using the InstallScript MSI project type.
You can have custom actions in a couple of formats, including DLL, EXE, VBScript, InstallScript, .NEt Installer Class. A DLL written in C is often the leanest and most stable solution. Custom Actions written in InstallScript require some overhead. Custom actions in managed code (c# for instance) should be avoided.

RikRak

RikRak
  • Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 19 September 2006 - 15:09

Thanks Stefan,

Is there any reason why managed custom action should be avoided? Is it because the framework is required prior to installation?

Rik

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 19 September 2006 - 17:02

See this blog article for some discussion:
http://blogs.msdn.co.../10/392280.aspx
Also note that you are very restricted in scheduling "installer class" custom actions.