This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

"#include" Merge Modules

2 replies to this topic

dbareis

dbareis
  • Full Members
  • 85 posts

Posted 28 January 2003 - 00:34

Hi,

Wise Installer has a merge function which requires the (1) filename of the merge module, (2) a feature name and (3) a directory name and it will perform the merge.

This is pretty much what I want to do but without requiring Wise.  Has anyone got any sample code for doing this, looking at MSI.CHM, it looks a lot harder than this.  I have seen posts on cab files etc also, I don't see why it need be harder than a 'C" #include...

Thanks for any help,
Dennis
---
Dennis Bareis (dbareis@No.Spam.gmail.com)
Free MSI update/creation tool (MAKEMSI):
http://users.cyberon...eis/makemsi.htm

hambone

hambone
  • Members
  • 206 posts

Posted 28 January 2003 - 14:09

have you looked at the Windows Installer Development Tools ?

there is a MSIMerg.EXE there ( look it up in the same MSI.CHM file ) that might satisfy your reqt's...

dbareis

dbareis
  • Full Members
  • 85 posts

Posted 28 January 2003 - 22:45

Hi.

Thanks for the response, I do look at these as lots of stuff is only "documented" there!

The merge script merges two databases and this appears to be a another type of process which is not what is done for merge modules.

It is starting to become clearer to me, the main issue is I don't know much about how files are stored in cab files, I think I'll be starting there, and getting that working first and then the merge module issue will hopefully seem a lot easier and the documentation might make more sense.

I am writing a tool which takes a text script (not code as such) and generates appropriate VBSCRIPT to do whatever you wish (for example create MSI). It is coming along nicely, the file/cab and merge modules are the only things I can see which I'll probably have lots of "fun" with.

Bye,
Dennis
---
Dennis Bareis (dbareis@No.Spam.gmail.com)
Free MSI update/creation tool (MAKEMSI):
http://users.cyberon...eis/makemsi.htm