This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Editing already packaged MSI

5 replies to this topic

shino

shino
  • Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 19 June 2006 - 21:14

hi all,

i have the following problem with one MSI file. i am trying to update one field of the CustomAction table from an InstallShield project. This i am trying to do by loading msi.dll and using the functions within it. So far i am able to read the values, but i can't update it anyway. Neither with SQL query or MsiModifyView(). I am getting the state of the database as read-write. All functions exits normally and i am able to set a string to the record with MsiRecordSetStringA, note that i am using the ANSI functions because the Unicode are getting me unhandled exceptions.

Can someone say where i am wrong , and is that possible at all?

thanx in advance.

shino

Glytzhkof

Glytzhkof
  • Moderators
  • 1,447 posts

Posted 20 June 2006 - 00:23

You cannot change an installed package in this way. However you can use a transform to modify a package before installation, or you can use a patch to transform the installed package to another package. A patch is essentially a "super transform" that modifies not only the installed package but also the files it installed.
Regards
-Stein Åsmul

shino

shino
  • Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 20 June 2006 - 08:32

thanks for the answer Glytzhkof.
What i actually wants to be done is to insert some info into the package, which to be read and used at install time. As i read the help for transforms, the transform could be performed at install time, but this does not suits me. To create a patch i actually have to create a different build, right, which is another thing that i prefer not to do.

i found this at another post.
Stefan Krueger:
"As far as I know changing records in the msi file is not supported and often doesn't work. Only adding temporary rows is allowed.
Why don't you use a property in the condition and set that property programmatically?"

Do you have any idea how this could be done?

thanx in advance
shino

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 20 June 2006 - 10:28

shino,

are you trying to modify the msi file during installation, or are you trying to modify a msi file on your development machine, then save the changed file and sent it to the users (basically what you could do with Orca)? In the latter case look at the sample VBScripts in the platform SDK which show how to run SQL commands to edit a msi file.

shino

shino
  • Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 20 June 2006 - 15:11

It is the second case, i am trying to update a MSI which will be run later.
Thank you for the hint with the VBScript, it is actually working.
And i still cannot understand why this VBscript is working, and the functions which i call from my InstallShield installscript product (not MSI) don't.

this is the code:

UseDLL("msi.dll");

nResult = MsiOpenDatabaseA( szFileName, MSIDBOPEN_TRANSACT, hMSIDatabase); // return 0

nResult = MsiGetDatabaseState(hMSIDatabase); // return 1

nResult = MsiDatabaseOpenViewA( hMSIDatabase, "UPDATE `CustomAction` SET `CustomAction`.`Target`='the_exe_info' WHERE `CustomAction`.`Action`='exe'", hMSIReturnView ); // return 0

nResult = MsiViewExecute(hMSIReturnView, NULL); // return 0

nResult = MsiDatabaseCommit( hMSIDatabase ); // return 0

nResult = MsiCloseHandle(hMSIReturnView); // return 0
nResult = MsiCloseHandle(hMSIDatabase); // return 0

UnUseDLL("msi.dll");

All this handles are installscript HWND, not MSIHANDLE or PMSIHANDLE:
here are the prototypes:

#define MSIDBOPEN_TRANSACT "1"

prototype stdcall NUMBER msi.MsiOpenDatabaseA(BYVAL STRING, BYVAL STRING, BYREF HWND);
prototype stdcall NUMBER msi.MsiViewExecute(BYVAL HWND, BYVAL HWND);
prototype stdcall NUMBER msi.MsiDatabaseOpenViewA(BYVAL HWND, BYVAL STRING, BYREF HWND);
prototype stdcall NUMBER msi.MsiGetDatabaseState(BYVAL HWND);
prototype stdcall NUMBER msi.MsiDatabaseCommit(BYVAL HWND);
prototype stdcall NUMBER msi.MsiCloseHandle(BYVAL HWND);

All prototypes are taken and reworked abit from "ISMsiQuery.h"

Is there a case when get the handle to the database, and the code returned that it is read-write handle, actually it to be read-only handle. Or my question is: do the msi class objects give more control over MSI package file?

shino

Edited by shino, 20 June 2006 - 15:12.

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 22 June 2006 - 08:37

I don't know why your InstallScript isn't working, I never tries it this way.