This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

setup.exe does not launch

3 replies to this topic

MonkeyK

MonkeyK
  • Members
  • 33 posts

Posted 20 September 2004 - 18:35

I have built a project with a setup.exe. If I try to launch my install from the setup.exe, nothing happens.

If I launch the .msi, the installer starts.

Anyone see this happen before? Did you figure out why the setup.exe did not start?

Also, is there a way to extract the setup.ini info from the setup.exe? Maybe something is not configured right.

MonkeyK

MonkeyK
  • Members
  • 33 posts

Posted 20 September 2004 - 23:03

Some more info:
If I try to launch the .msi directly, I get the message "Another version of this product is already installed"...

I understand the rules for a minor upgrade, and have the upgrade setting "Don't prompt user, just install the upgrade". If I understand correctly, the Installshield built setup.exe is supposed to set the command line parameters correctly for the minor upgrade.

Can anyone tell me what I need to do to make setup.exe work like it is supposed to?

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 21 September 2004 - 11:29

In this case it could either be setup.exe not starting, or it doesn't laucnh your .msi successfully (since you configured setup.exe not to prompt).
You could instead select to prompt for update to see if you get at least to that point.
And you could enable MSI logging to see if your .msi gets launched from setup.exe (and maybe dies immediately)

MonkeyK

MonkeyK
  • Members
  • 33 posts

Posted 21 September 2004 - 18:49

Thanks Stefan. My problem was that I forgot to update the product version number. I think that the .MSI was not being launched since setup.exe was able to determine that a newer version was already installed, so a log gave me nothing.