This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Speaking of permissions...

2 replies to this topic

ktrout75

ktrout75
  • Full Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 12 August 2008 - 14:45

Hi all:

I have recently been tasked with creating an installation package using InstallShield 2009. I am new to this, so this may be my first question of many.

Our software consists of a desktop executable and a web service. Several components require the assignment of some limited permissions for ASP.NET and NETWORK SERVICE. When I add these permissions, however, the default permissions are wiped out and, while the installation builds and runs, the application won't function. Thinking I had solved the problem, I explicitly specified permissions for Administrator, Users and SYSTEM in addition to ASP.NET and NETWORK SERVICE. Now, when I check the permissions post-install, ASP.NET is designated as the "Machine Account". Needless to say, the product will not function with these settings.

So, in a nutshell, I need to add permissions for ASP.NET and NETWORK SERVICE without overriding the default permissions for Administrator, Users and SYSTEM. Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
Rob

felltier-a

felltier-a
  • Awaiting Authorisation
  • 85 posts

Posted 14 August 2008 - 07:13

Hi Rob,

there´s no way to set permissions via Installshield without overriding the current permissions i guess. But you can set your permissions by calling "cacls.exe".

"/E" is what you are looking for smile.gif

For me it works!

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 15 August 2008 - 10:26

Actually this is a limitation in Windows Installer's LockPermission table.