This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

COM Extraction HKCR\Interface keys

2 replies to this topic

comecme

comecme
  • Members
  • 30 posts

Posted 22 July 2004 - 13:33

I've created a component that only contains an OCX file. I 've let DevStudio extract the COM information. After installing my MSI, the OCX is not correctly registered. In HKCR\Interface\{GUID} should be a Default string value with the value ucCD. There also should be a second GUID with the same default string. The installers creates the first GUID with the string value _ucCD and the second one with the value __ucCD.

An option would be to use Self Registration, but since InstallShield recomments using COM extraction that is my prefered method.

I've searched through all tables for the ucCD value, but it isn't mentioned anywhere. How does the installer determine the names to use as Default Values for these GUID's? And how can that behaviour be changed?

The OCX file I'm using is wshCommonDialogs.ocx (attached)

Attached Files

Dick Nagtegaal

Glytzhkof

Glytzhkof
  • Moderators
  • 1,447 posts

Posted 22 July 2004 - 14:23

You could insert the component into the project using the component wizard, I believe it will default to extract the COM info and add it to the component, you can then modify the values to the correct values and not use COM extract. This obviously means that the values must be stable. Don't know why the underscores are added, you must accidentially have used a string that is interpreted as something other than you intended.
Regards
-Stein Åsmul

comecme

comecme
  • Members
  • 30 posts

Posted 22 July 2004 - 14:55

The problem is that those strings don't appear in any of the tables, so I can't change nothing. But for some reason, after adding, removing and adding the file again a few times all of a sudden everythings works ok. The default values still contain the underscore, but the OCS does work now.

I suppose my problem was not in the underscores but somewhere else. Those COM stuff is very confusing and unclear.
Dick Nagtegaal