This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

InstallShield and 4 GB RAM

2 replies to this topic

CrazyChris

CrazyChris
  • Full Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 19 November 2008 - 19:23

Hi all,

we have a customer complaint on a PC with 4 GB of RAM, Windows XP SP3.

A setup created with InstallShield 5.5 (InstallScript) needs several minutes to show the language dialog, then simply dies without saying why.

Is there a known mem size limit?
Would using a newer IS version be helpful? (right now, we don't have a 4 GB PC at hand to try with IS 11)

(We already use IS 11 for newer projects, and have IS 2009 ready to install. The reason for sticking to 5.5 is that in this project we have piled up around 11000 lines of script code - it's amazing how creative marketing requests for gimmicks can be over a 10 year period ;-)

Would limiting RAM usage to 3 GB via boot.ini be of any use?

Does InstallShield in any way support Windows XP Professional x64 Edition?
The Acresso web site doesn't mention it anywhere, which doesn't look too promising...

regards
Chris

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 21 November 2008 - 16:32

As far as I know InstallShield 2009 supports x64 in InstallScript projects. But I'm sure that InstallShield 5.5 does not officially support x64, not Windows XP.
Maybe you could crate a simple test project in IS 2009 and send it to your customer?

CrazyChris

CrazyChris
  • Full Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 21 November 2008 - 16:50

Yep, IS 5.5 is definitely dead for new projects, and I wouldn't have expected x64 to be even tolerated anyway. It was hard enough to tell an XP target from an NT4 in the script.

But then, haven't we all been told "nobody will need more than 640 KB of memory anyway" some time ago... ;-)

THX for your quick reply
Chris