This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Pls help-"failed to grab execution mutex"

3 replies to this topic

zhaojin

zhaojin
  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 18 March 2005 - 06:26

During the installation, there is error "failed to grab the execution mutex; system error 258" and then the main msiexec.exe exit. This can be reproduce after install and uninstall serveral times.

Following list the log:
MSI (s) (84:2C): Dir (target): Key: System.51D569E3_8A28_11D2_B962_006097C4DE24 , Object: C:\WINDOWS\system32\
MSI (s) (84:2C): Dir (target): Key: System16Folder , Object: C:\WINDOWS\system\
MSI © (28:30): Failed to grab execution mutex. System error 258.
MSI © (28:30): Cloaking enabled.
MSI © (28:30): Attempting to enable all disabled priveleges before calling Install on Server
MSI © (28:30): Incrementing counter to disable shutdown. Counter after increment: 0

MSI (s) (84:2C): Dir (target): Key: StartupFolder , Object: C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\Startup\

Does anyone has same experience with me? I feel that may be it relates to the enviroment. Does anyone has any suggestion or advice? Thanks a lot.

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 18 March 2005 - 11:11

Looks like a time-out error. Did you allow some time between your installs/uninstalls? Does a reboot fix the problem?

zhaojin

zhaojin
  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 19 March 2005 - 04:29

Thanks Stefan Krueger.
You are right! We can reproduce it install and uninstall serveral times and after reboot it seems work fines. But after try install/uninstall 2 times, it will fail again until reboot. Could you give me another advice except reboot? Because in our cases, it need install/uninstall serveral times. We can't ask user reboot everytimes.

kdavis

kdavis
  • Full Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 24 September 2010 - 18:34

your MSIEXEC.EXE is still running in the back ground.
an install or in your case the uninstall is not closeing properly there is some kind of problem with it.
kill the process in taskmanager.
and try again. it will install again.
then you have the tricky part... why is MSIEXEC.EXE still running???