This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Custom Action to Install a File

5 replies to this topic

Superfreak3

Superfreak3
  • Full Members
  • 437 posts

Posted 20 September 2001 - 19:34

I am using a VBScript to accept a user entered registration number.  The process errors on some machines due to the absence of scrrun.dll.  This script is called from a dialog under Installation Welcome.

I would like to install scrrun.dll sometime before the Installation Welcome 'sequence'.  What would be the best way to accomplish this?

I tried a nested installation custom action which included an .msi file (which simply installed scrrun.dll) folded into the Parent install (I also tried on source as well).  I just can't seem to get it working.

Please Help!!!

Thanks!!!!!!

Superfreak3

Superfreak3
  • Full Members
  • 437 posts

Posted 21 September 2001 - 14:17

Here is some more information that I hope gives anybody a clearer picture of this:

The Custom Action I am using is a Type 7 and is located after CostFinalize in the Execute Sequence.

I don't know if it is actually kicking off or not, but scrrun.dll is not installed and the process errors upon trying to execute the VBScript.  

Is there anything I am missing i.e. tables entries I have to populate, etc.?

pdriley

pdriley
  • Members
  • 91 posts

Posted 21 September 2001 - 15:49

If you want to install something before a dialog in the UI Sequence, you have to do it in the UI Sequence rather than in the Execute Sequence.

Superfreak3

Superfreak3
  • Full Members
  • 437 posts

Posted 21 September 2001 - 16:58

I believe I tried that before and received 2755 errors.  

I have an Advanced Windows Installer training manual which indicates that a nested installation custom action must be added to the parent installation's Execute Sequence after the standard CostInitialize action.

Any further thoughts?  I hope!!

pdriley

pdriley
  • Members
  • 91 posts

Posted 21 September 2001 - 17:38

Aha!  Valid point.

Are you then using a WI installer (implicit in custom action 7) to install scrrun.dll?

Have you considered putting the DLL into the binary table, extracting it, copying it to the system directory, and running regsvr32 on it?

The alternative is to put it in an executable installer and using a Custom Action Type 2 to run it from the binary table.

Either of those options can be done as early in either Sequence as you like and you really do need to do it in the UI sequence BEFORE your dialog.