This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

ICE61

4 replies to this topic

MikeBergman

MikeBergman
  • Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 31 January 2005 - 21:16

I ran Validate on ORCA today. This is what I got:

ICE61 WARNING This product should remove only older versions of itself. The Maximum version is not less than the current product. (5.1.999 5.5.785)

I thought 5.1.999 was less than 5.5.785.

I am trying to figure out why my major upgrade is leaving the old version in the Add/Remove Programs control panel. I have looked at the MSI FAQ on this site on "Why Doesn't My Major Upgrade Work?" by Phil Wilson and I am following the rules but after seeing the ICE61 warning I am wondering if my version detection is incorrect.

Here is the Upgrade table:
UpgradeCode:{57770062-2C89-4BAA-A5E3-A369C30F6F1B}
VersionMin: 5.0.0
VersionMax: 5.1.999
Language: 1033
Attributes: 769 (
msidbUpgradeAttributesMigrateFeatures+
msidbUpgradeAttributesVersionMinInclusive+
msidbUpgradeAttributesVersionMaxInclusive)
Remove: {}
ActionProperty: UPARTISPEECH

SecureCustomProperties: UPARTISPEECH

I have a verbose log of the upgrade but I don't see anything helpful there either.

NOT SO FAST THERE!
I have the following entries in the log:

Action start 10:25:45: MigrateFeatureStates.
Action ended 10:25:45: MigrateFeatureStates. Return value 0.

Action start 10:26:02: FindRelatedProducts.
MSI (s) (0C:A8): Skipping FindRelatedProducts action: already done on client side
Action ended 10:26:02: FindRelatedProducts. Return value 0.

Action start 10:26:09: MigrateFeatureStates.
MSI (s) (0C:A8): Skipping MigrateFeatureStates action: already done on client side
Action ended 10:26:09: MigrateFeatureStates. Return value 0.

But I don't know where to go from here.

Edited by MikeBergman, 31 January 2005 - 21:26.

Michael Bergman
LumenVox LLC

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 02 February 2005 - 09:18

On the log there should also be a FindRelatedProducts entry for the client side MSI ( c ) in addition to the server side MSI(s) entry. Can you post this, too?

MikeBergman

MikeBergman
  • Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 02 February 2005 - 23:22

So that's what the (s) is for! Is there a Wiki out there for how to decode log files?

Here is the information you asked for:

MSI ( c ) (84:B0): Doing action: FindRelatedProducts
Action start 10:25:30: FindRelatedProducts.
MSI ( c ) (84:B0): FindRelatedProducts: current install is per-user. Related install for product '{E0E29814-05E9-427D-90C3-EF6B3AC76857}' is per-machine. Skipping...
MSI ( c ) (84:B0): FindRelatedProducts: current install is per-user. Related install for product '{E0E29814-05E9-427D-90C3-EF6B3AC76857}' is per-machine. Skipping...
Action ended 10:25:30: FindRelatedProducts. Return value 1.

I read this to mean that the original installation is a per-user installation. When I ran the original installation, I selected per-system, not per-user so there must be a problem with the original installation. I loaded up the installation in Orca and ran the validation test but the only errors I got were of this type:

ICE64 ERROR The directory Lumenvox18 is in the user profile but is not listed in the RemoveFile table.

This was used to author a shortcut. Could my tests be out of date? They are dated 11/14/2002.

Edited by MikeBergman, 02 February 2005 - 23:27.

Michael Bergman
LumenVox LLC

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 03 February 2005 - 11:30

That's certainly the reason why your old version doesn't get removed:
the old version is installed per-machine, but the setup you are currently installing (the new version) is per-user. Set ALLUSERS=1 to make your new install per-machine.

I don't see an error in your Upgrade table entry that would cause the validation ICE61 warning. Maybe you have additional rows in your Upgrade table? (Open your .msi file in Orca to be sure)

MikeBergman

MikeBergman
  • Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 03 February 2005 - 19:46

I don't see an error in your Upgrade table entry that would cause the validation ICE61 warning. Maybe you have additional rows in your Upgrade table? (Open your .msi file in Orca to be sure)

Originally, I had multiple rows in the Upgrade table for the same product which I removed (consolidated) and retested before I posted my question.

This leads me to believe there is a problem with the ICE I am using (big surprise).

Have the .cub files have been updated since 2002; if so, how can I get them (without getting the latest platform sdk... which corrupts our current working environment)?

That's certainly the reason why your old version doesn't get removed:
the old version is installed per-machine, but the setup you are currently installing (the new version) is per-user. Set ALLUSERS=1 to make your new install per-machine

The logs for both installations show:
Property(S): ALLUSERS = 1
Property( C ): ALLUSERS = 1

These are the only entries for ALLUSERS in both logs. So something else is causing it to install as per-user.

Michael Bergman
LumenVox LLC