This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

nested installation and major upgrade issue

2 replies to this topic

elliot

elliot
  • Full Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 17 March 2005 - 15:08

Hi all,

I have built and released our main product with a basic MSI project (using Developer 8.02).
One of the CA in my project installed locally the MSDE, using the MSDE msi that was located on our CD.

This all went well. However, now I am facing a problem that is related to a major upgrade of my product.

My major upgrade is authored in such way that the old (previous) product is being removed and the new version is then installed. However - doing so removes the MSDE also (as this is the normal behaviour of my original installation).
The desicion if to uninstall the MSDE is based on a registy key that the old installation read during the removal proccess, so besically, I can delete (or simply modify) this key so during the major upgrade, when the whold previous version product will be removed - the MSDE will not be removed.

But then - I have the problem : how will the MSDE can be removed afterwards ?

As far as I know - a nested installation can be removed only by the product that initially installed it and by no other means. Is it correct ?

Thanks,

Igal

mayur

mayur
  • Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 18 March 2005 - 09:18

Hi,

Yes you are correct that a nested installation can be removed only by the product that initially installed it and by no other means. The same thing is also available in MSi.CHM

This is the big disadvantage of not to implement nested installation.

I think you must be getting error called "1713 Network Error : cannot read from C:\Windows\installer\<msi Name>

Mayur

elliot

elliot
  • Full Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 20 March 2005 - 15:02

Hi,

Actually I am not gettig any errors during the installation. As I wrote - I can make the nested installation not to be run (or removed) when the product which is being upgraeded, being uninstalled in the upgrade proccess.

However - then it leaves me with an installation of the MSDE which can never be removed.

How come MS provide me 2 feature in they MSI technology (the nested installation and the major upgrade) which cannot work one with the other in a "normal" way ?

sad.gif