This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

MSDE and Database Distribution

3 replies to this topic

PMillere

PMillere
  • Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 10 October 2001 - 15:46

Does anyone know how to distribute a MSDE (SQL SERVER) Database with the engine and how to attach database with InstallScript ?

Thanks.

Andy Shand

Andy Shand
  • Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 10 October 2001 - 16:43

You could use SQL-DMO to attach the binary database file.

Alternatively use DMO to play a SQL script  that creates the DB schema. You can use Enterprise Manager to generate the script.

MS have a document that covers this - something like "Deploying SQL Server Applications".

You'll need SQL-DMO to be installed on the machine. There's a 3rd party merge module on this site that can do this. Alternatively, if the user has installed MSDE or SQL Server, they've already got it.

Gavin

Gavin
  • Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 04 March 2002 - 22:32

MSDE 2000 install: WARNING about SQL-DMO!!!!

As wonderful as SQL-DMO is, I found out the following (the hard way):

If your end users have SQL 7.0 installing the DMO merge modules will KILL their client tools (i.e. Enterprise Manager, Query Analyzer, etc.)

The client tools for SQL 2000 are NOT freely distributable, so the fix is quite inconvenient.

Just a word of caution...

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 04 March 2002 - 22:39

Quote (Gavin @ Mar. 04 2002,22:32)
If your end users have SQL 7.0 installing the DMO merge modules will KILL their client tools (i.e. Enterprise Manager, Query Analyzer, etc.)

That should be fixed in the latest version of the module.