This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

ShortCut shows only default Windows icon

5 replies to this topic

Barbara

Barbara
  • Members
  • 89 posts

Posted 27 May 2002 - 15:54

I create non advertised icons to my applications on the desktop or in the Startmenu folder. In some cases after installation only the windopws standard icon is displayed even when I specify a correct path to an icon file in my Developer 7 project.
If I right click the sortcut an select properties -> change icon I can see, that the correct path and iconfile is written to the shortcut. I have then to select this path and click OK and the correct icon is displayed.
What can cause this behaviour ? Why is the icon only displayed when clicking the shortcut properties ?

Thank You for Your help
Barbara
The difference between theory and practice is larger in practice than in the theory.

cgilley

cgilley
  • Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 22 July 2002 - 23:57

Hi -
unfortunately I cannot help, but I can empathize - I have just discovered exactly the same problem in my Dev 7 package.  Have you discovered a cause yet?  I'll keep looking...
Craig Gilley

cgilley

cgilley
  • Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 23 July 2002 - 17:33

Well I managed to get mine to work.  In Direct Editor view, I looked at the Icons table to see if I could discover any differences between the shortcuts that were displaying correct icons, and those that were not.  And, I did find a difference.  For those that were only displaying the default Windows icon, the path did not contain upper case characters where the correctly-displaying ones did.  Also, some of the Icon Index fields were blank.  I inserted zeroes into the blank index fields.  I could not edit the path directly in the Icons table (so why do they call it "Direct Editor"?), but I went back to the Shortcuts view and manually edited the paths ther, putting upper case characters where appropriate.  Then save the project, go back to Icons table and verify that the changes are there, then rebuild.  Now all shortcuts display the correct icon.  

Installshield, if your listening:  Check that this one is on your bug list.
Craig Gilley

tl0

tl0
  • Members
  • 49 posts

Posted 20 January 2003 - 23:33

i just encountered this problem as well.

So.. if i name the path D:\SOMEDIR\SOMENESTEDDIR\

instead of the equivalent in lowercase this will work?  Or are you talking about the path variables?

Thx in advance!

rmadassery77

rmadassery77
  • Members
  • 52 posts

Posted 22 January 2003 - 12:28

An altrenative-
You can also try going to the icon table and dbl clking the Binary data column (newly created cell) and adding (in fact reading) the exe/ico to the binary table and then give a name for the icon. In the Shortcut table use this new icon for your shortcut.
Rajiv Madassery
Galway Scripting Center
Digital GlobalSoft Ltd.
(Subsidiary of Hewlett-Packard Company)

tl0

tl0
  • Members
  • 49 posts

Posted 22 January 2003 - 17:40

thanks rajiv. it works.