This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Splitting an MSI into Two

2 replies to this topic

rameshk01

rameshk01
  • Full Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 13 March 2007 - 06:03

Hello,

I need to split my installation into two different installations. The reason is that the two features in the current product are going to be offered as two different products. I have already split the product into two different installations. But I am not sure how to handle the existing customers who have the combined installation.

Basically I would like to be able to upgrade the existing customers and install the two different products after uninstalling the original combined product. For new customers, the product will be offered as two different installtions.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

K. Ramesh

Gareth at Serif

Gareth at Serif
  • Full Members
  • 85 posts

Posted 14 March 2007 - 17:07

So, if I understand you correctly, you need to add the UpgradeCode of your old combined installation into the Upgrade table of both of your new split packages (being sure to create new UpgradeCodes for the new packages so as not to detect each other).

Then, which ever you install first will remove the old package for you, but if either package doesn't find the old package (new users or old users who've already upgraded to the other package) will just get a standard installation.

The only downside to major upgrades using this technology is that it performs costing before removing the upgraded package and so any components set to "never overwrite" will get uninstalled by the original package but not re-installed by the new package as the comonent states have already been decided upon before the RemoveExistingProducts action.

Best of luck,
Gareth

rameshk01

rameshk01
  • Full Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 15 March 2007 - 08:17

Gareth,

Thanks for the reply. Actually I wasn't sure how to go about the whole thing. But, based on your reply, I will play around with the upgrade codes and try to get an understanding. If I have more questions (which I definitely will), I will come back to you. Thanks again.

K. Ramesh