This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

How do you change installation directory

5 replies to this topic

Wayne

Wayne
  • Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 24 April 2002 - 22:25

We have an IS 6.12 project that installs quarterly updates for clients. On the initial installation, some clients installed the application to one directory, and have subsequently moved these files to a different directory. Now, when they get the quarterly update, the update is installed into the original installation location. How can I change where IS thinks the application was originally installed to without having to uninstall/reinstall the application?

Thanks,
Wayne

Ide Nentjes

Ide Nentjes
  • Members
  • 222 posts

Posted 25 April 2002 - 11:59

In your script (in OnBegin) detect where the application is actually installed, and set TARGETDIR to this directory.

Note: I'm not sure, but I don't think that this will fix the uninstaller as well. That will still point to the 'old' directory.

Wayne

Wayne
  • Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 25 April 2002 - 12:38

I'm using ComponentReinstall() to install all of the updates - should I be doing this differently? ComponentReinstall puts the updated files into the original directory.

Thanks,
Wayne

Taco Bell

Taco Bell

IS6 Expert

• Moderators
  • 1,281 posts

Posted 25 April 2002 - 12:57

If the user has manually moved the files afterwards, God only knows where it may reside today.

In such a scenario, you therefore have basically two options:
1. Default to the location of the last install, and if the files are gone, force the user to pick the correct new location.  You can check for key files to verify the new path.

2. As a last resort, you _could_ do a complete search on the hard drive for those same key files, but keep in mind this may take forever and cause for a bad end-user experience.
user posted image

Wayne

Wayne
  • Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 15 May 2002 - 07:27

Quote (TacoBell00 @ April 25 2002,11:57)
1. Default to the location of the last install, and if the files are gone, force the user to pick the correct new location.  You can check for key files to verify the new path.

I like your option 1. However, I've been doing the update via ComponentReinstall. Any thoughts on how I should proceed with doing the update? Should I just go through the initial installation routine again?

Thanks,
Wayne

Taco Bell

Taco Bell

IS6 Expert

• Moderators
  • 1,281 posts

Posted 15 May 2002 - 16:03

In such a case, you would better off making the user go back through the installation routine.  That way everything is correctly updated including the uninstall.
user posted image