This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

How to implement "Check for Updates"

4 replies to this topic

MonkeyK

MonkeyK
  • Members
  • 33 posts

Posted 29 June 2004 - 15:32

My manager is asking me to figure out how to do updates from within the application. Does anyone have any tips on how to do this?

My general fuzzy picture of the process is:
-User installs app from a CD
-I put a "Install from the Web" build on a website
-app has a menu time "Check for Updates"
-user selects it
-app does something to determine if it should get the "Install from the Web"
-if necessary, app gets and launches the "Install from the Web"
-Install checks for running app, if it is running prompts user to shut down app before continuing.

My problem is that I can't get past the fuzzy stage.
  • What is a good way to check if I should get the "Install from the Web"? Should I post a file with the install version? Can I test a specific existing value?
  • When I build teh "Install from the Web" it creates a web page that lauches a cab file. How do I do that in code (a VB example would help) or should I do something else?
  • How do digital signatures fit into the picture. I get the idea that they verify that I am who I say I am, and that I apply a digital signature to my install package. Is there a way to test digital signatures without having one? Do they affect how I get the install?
  • Up to now, when we have updated, I have avoided patches (just built the full install) because patches seem like more work. Should I be trying to do this with patches instead?
  • Are there other things I should worry about with web updates?

Thank you to anyone who can help me get back on track,
Mike Kaericher

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 29 June 2004 - 16:12

Have you looked at InstallShield's Update Service? This should solve your first problem.
If you are using InstallShield X you already have the Started Edition of the Update Service. While you can't check for updates from a menu item in your application with the Starter Edition (this would require the full version) it automatically checks for updated periodically. And it's included for free.

In any case I'd suggest you look at the Update Service, the documentation and webinars that are avaiable at installshield.com. Even if you prefer a home grown solution this should give you some inspiration.

Jim Bassett

Jim Bassett
  • Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 15 November 2004 - 16:53

The Starter edition of the Update service client is free with InstallShield X but one myust still have the update service server which is not free, isn't that correct? If the application is a .NET application then one could use the Auto updating apps with BITS API which of course still requires a server piece but that can be written.

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 16 November 2004 - 08:32

No, the Update Service Server is hosted by InstallShield at no cost.
If you prefer to host the server (the database that stores information about available updates) yourself then you have to pay for it. But in general using the server hosted by InstallShield is the preferred method.
Note that this server only stores information about available updates for a particular application and where they can be found, i.e. a link to your web site. The actual update bits are always stored on your own server.

lavocat

lavocat
  • Full Members
  • 158 posts

Posted 01 December 2005 - 09:22

The Update Service Starter edition is limited in terms of features compared the full version and is intended as a taster so that customers can get a feel of this type of update service.

The Starter Edition limits you to just one update per product as well as only permitting you to notify your end users that an update is available as opposed to be able to actually ‘push’ the update down onto your end users PC. It is also limited to a smaller number of end users.

Edited by lavocat, 01 December 2005 - 09:23.